Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Another Whirlpooling Question  (Read 4165 times)

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
Re: Another Whirlpooling Question
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 10:03:25 am »
There is an episode of CYBI that covers this in depth, I don't remember off the top of my head what the math was, but they figured out a system to convert whirpool hops on a professional system to a homebrew setup. Maybe one of the firestone walker eps?
 Also, McDole did say he would remove all of the early hop additions (using hopsacks) to avoid further isomerization during the whirlpool/hopstand. 
If I run across it again I will post a link
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 12:01:06 pm »
aha - so i was on to something.

thanks Drew - if you do recall which show it was, please do post back. I'll start listening to the FW ones this weekend.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 12:14:00 pm »
How would you loose, or drive-off hop oils, if the heat is off and the boil ceases. I cover my keggle with a lid while steeping the hops.

I'm confused as to how any essentials will be lost.

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 01:08:00 pm »
thanks Drew - if you do recall which show it was, please do post back. I'll start listening to the FW ones this weekend.

Check the Firestone episode with the  Matt Brynildson interview. Also found reference to it in the 21A Back in Black show. It looks like they are moving the bittering addition to later in the boil to compensate for the whirlpool at the end. 90 minute boil, 15 minute whirlpool would move the 90 minute addition to 75 minutes. Alternately you can use the Tasty method and remove the early additions prior to wp.

It's my understanding that isomerization continues at anything over 185f, so that makes sense to me. But I'm wrong a lot too  ;D
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 05:47:52 am »
It looks like they are moving the bittering addition to later in the boil to compensate for the whirlpool at the end. 90 minute boil, 15 minute whirlpool would move the 90 minute addition to 75 minutes.
That seems a bit foolish.  There is very little difference between a 75' addition and a 90' addition.

The bigger difficulty with whirlpool hops is calculation the bitterness contribution of the late additions, since the 5' addition will continue to isomerize during the hop stand.  However, you want to leave it in because that is where you get the benefit of the whirlpool on hop flavor and aroma.