Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New to brewing  (Read 6104 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: New to brewing
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 09:20:46 am »
So 99% of the fermentation has occurred. Congratulations on a successful ferment! Now let it sit and finish because it isn't done yet even if it doesn't drop any more points.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline rdbobonis

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 09:22:09 am »
Thank you.  So by Tuesday I should be good to bottle??  I hope.....

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 09:23:49 am »
Thank you.  So by Tuesday I should be good to bottle??  I hope.....

Sure. Give it a shot! ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline rdbobonis

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 12:34:34 pm »
OK, bottling today at some point...what is the best way to get the bottles ready?  I've heard of baking at 350 for 2 hours and of running in dish washer.....  :-\

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 12:39:47 pm »
OK, bottling today at some point...what is the best way to get the bottles ready?  I've heard of baking at 350 for 2 hours and of running in dish washer.....  :-\

Assuming they're clean,just sanitize with some Starsan or iodophor.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2012, 12:40:16 pm »

I make sure mine are rinsed out really well then run them through the "sanitize" setting in the DW. Once they have cooled I just open the DW, set the bottling bucket on top and fill the bottles. The door catches any spillage (it will happen).

Or you could dunk them in starsan or iodophor if you don't trust the DW. I've done the oven method and always lost a couple bottles each time so don't recommend this approach.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2012, 03:35:28 pm »

I make sure mine are rinsed out really well then run them through the "sanitize" setting in the DW. Once they have cooled I just open the DW, set the bottling bucket on top and fill the bottles. The door catches any spillage (it will happen).

Or you could dunk them in starsan or iodophor if you don't trust the DW. I've done the oven method and always lost a couple bottles each time so don't recommend this approach.

I haven't bottled a whole batch in a while but the last two or three times I did the oven method and I liked it. yes you lose a couple but I sort of consider that QC. If it broke from heating and cooling there was a flaw in the glass and I don't want my beer in it anyway. In fact I have found the bubble that caused the break in all three bottles that broke. It probably wouldn't have broke at 2 atmospheres but...

I always include 5 or 6 more bottles than I think I will need for this reason when useing the oven. I like being able to put them in the oven the night before and then pull them out and fill in the morning.

I never had a problem with idophor either though so...

**EDIT** Wow! I said over instead of oven in EVERY case. wasn't even autocorrect.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 04:33:40 pm by morticaixavier »
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2012, 04:09:29 pm »
Might not be something you can do this time, but if your bottles are clean, I really like using a wine sulfiter to spray Star-san inside the bottles. Then just put them on a bottle tree (also spritzed down with Star-san) to drip out the excess. Dunk your caps in some sanitizer solution, too (I keep them in a lingerie laundry bag to keep them together), and you're all set.

I don't use my dishwasher because my water is amazingly hard and therefore I really need to have a rinse aid in there. Rinse agents like Jet Wash aren't conducive to having a good head on your beer.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 04:11:13 pm by anje »
<-- microbiologist brewster n00b.

Hops and toothpaste don't mix.

Offline rdbobonis

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 01:40:03 pm »
Thanks all!!  Now 2 weeks until I can drink them....

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 04:33:53 pm »
Thanks all!!  Now 2 weeks until I can drink them....

Congrats!

Try one on Sunday or Monday to see how the carbonation progresses. Some folks bottle one beer in a 20oz soda bottle as a control. Just squeeze all the head-space's air out, tighten the top and you can watch it swell.

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 10:02:09 am »
I have found that my 12oz bottles become carbonated quicker than bombers. If I have a 12oz bottle with a low gravity beer, I can get fully carbed beer within a week. This was most important when I was a new brewer and didn't have the patience to wait.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 11:04:07 am »
I have found in general- much as in the main fermentation it is done within 3 days unless it is too cold. This can vary depending on factors but it's good to wait at least a week. I've found that if very little yeast gets into the bottling bucket- say after crashing or crashing a secondary or attempts to strip the yeast it will take much longer. Much longer.

Offline rdbobonis

• 1st Kit
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2012, 04:08:13 pm »
OK beer is done, came out OK...but have a question....

Is there supposed to be stuff at the bottom of the bottles?? :-\

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2012, 04:19:18 pm »
OK beer is done, came out OK...but have a question....

Is there supposed to be stuff at the bottom of the bottles?? :-\

yes. there should be a thin layer of whiteish/tannish yeast sediment. If you pour carefully you should be able to leave most of it behind with minimal beer loss. also if you chill the bottles for a while before pouring it will become more dense and compacted and will be easier to leave behind.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2012, 04:20:55 pm »
Oh ya, you have done well.  Got yeast in the bottom of the bottle as should be.  Crack one and give it a try and let us know.  Congrats!
AHA Member 900001775