General Category > Equipment and Software

Upgrading Equipment vs Learning Your System

(1/11) > >>

pehlman:
Ive come to the point in my brewing where I feel I am at a crossroads. I would really like to make my brew day easier and shorter if possible. More importantly, I would also like to take my quality and consistancy up a few knotches.

So here is my question....

Is it best to put more focus into buying better equipment and having a better system overall?

or... To put less effort and worry into it, and just learn how to fully optimize the system that you currently have? Given the system you are using already does all the basics to a certain extent (mash, lauter, boil, cooling, fermenting, packaging).

euge:
It's good you are asking these questions. Often an "upgrade" in equipment has a cascading effect of more "upgrades" in order for the first improvement to work properly. :(

I actually started getting rid of equipment and slimming down which actually made my process easier and faster. So I would say choose your approach wisely and try to streamline your experience to optimize what you have. A change in technique sometimes can make a huge difference too. One for me was doing my bittering charge at 45 minutes instead of 60. That's fifteen minutes right there.

The Major might have a say about this but he has been warning about posting non-grain topics in the All Grain section. This probably would have been better placed in the Equipment or even General sections.

pehlman:
Thanks! That makes a lot of sense!

I think youre right, I did post this in the wrong section... haha. Im going to repost in the equipment section. :)

pehlman:

Ive come to the point in my brewing where I feel I am at a crossroads. I would really like to make my brew day easier and shorter if possible. More importantly, I would also like to take my quality and consistancy up a few knotches.

So here is my question....

Is it best to put more focus into buying better equipment and having a better system overall?

or... To put less effort and worry into it, and just learn how to fully optimize the system that you currently have? Given the system you are using already does all the basics to a certain extent (mash, lauter, boil, cooling, fermenting, packaging).

pehlman:
*I HAVE REPOSTED THIS TOPIC IN THE "EQUIPMENT" CATEGORY*

My bad!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version