Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2 briskets on the BGE cooking time?  (Read 20200 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
2 briskets on the BGE cooking time?
« on: November 07, 2012, 07:19:36 am »
We're having a party this weekend and I'm gonna do a brisket on the egg.  But, I think I'm gonna have to do two for the number of people that are expected so I'm asking.  Does the final cooking time matter if you do two versus one?  I know a single 20 lb piece of meat would take much longer than a 10 lb piece but in this case, it's 2 - 10 lbs pieces laid side by side.  My thoughts are that it wouldn't matter but does anyone have experience to the contrary?

My plan is to put them on at 11 pm Friday at 225-250 and plan for about an hour per lb.  That gives me a lot of extra time in case I need more plus time to rest.  I've heard everything from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours per lb depending on the source but I've never done this much meat at once before.

Thanks

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: 2 briskets on the BGE cooking time?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 07:41:05 am »
I think you'll be fine with two briskets on the egg. They'll shrink a bit so if you have to overlap them initially that certainly won't be a problem. Fat-side down of course and when you hit the stall I'd foil them- which will save you at least three hours. You can even remove them once foiled and finish in the oven if you have the space there. Then wrap in towels and rest in a cooler until the internal temp drops to about 150 or less.

I'd budget up to 1.5 hours per pound @ 250 if you don't foil. Good-luck and don't forget to take some pics so we all can enjoy...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 09:22:37 am »
Tell me more about the "stall" and foiling please.
I was going to go until the Thermapen said 185, pull them off and remove the points for burnt ends and then foil+towel wrap them and into the cooler to rest for however long I had to spare (figured a couple hours). 

Do you sauce your brisket or leave it unsauced?  I've had both and I'm not sure what to do.  I have sauce so I may do both.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 10:03:53 am »
Sauce on the side. Always.

When your briskets hit 155F they will "stall" and will not raise another degree for many hours until enough moisture has evaporated off; then they will start to slowly rise to target temp which is between 190-210F. At 190 I start testing for tenderness: if the temp probe slides into the flat like butter it is done. The point will be done long before the flat.

The evaporation actually cools the brisket down inside the cooker and causes the stall. So at 155F wrap your briskets in a double layer of foil. This will keep the moisture inside and the brisket will gently steam and braise in it's own fat. The interior temp will rise consistently. This will save you hours and hours of cooking time. There will be plenty of bark and smoke flavor. You can still do burnt ends once the rest is over. I like my burnt ends done with sauce.

So instead of a 10-12 hour cook you are done in six most likely. Saves time and fuel. I like to use a wired probe thermometer so monitoring can be done without opening the lid. Remember- each brisket is like a child- they all behave differently! ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 04:09:46 pm »
I haven't found that doing multiple pork shoulders or chuck roasts adds to the cook time.

Plus, you get more meat for the investment of your time.

When you foil the brisket, you can also add some apple juice inside the foil.  This helps push through the stall, also.

I don't foil most times, but I have and it works well.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 05:24:41 pm »
Thanks guys
Anyone got a good rub recipe for brisket?  I always just make it up as I go for pulled pork but if you have one, let me know.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 05:50:08 pm »
Thanks guys
Anyone got a good rub recipe for brisket?  I always just make it up as I go for pulled pork but if you have one, let me know.

I think salt and pepper are all you need for brisket. Coarse pepper fairly heavy.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 06:08:41 pm »
Thanks guys

I think salt and pepper are all you need for brisket. Coarse pepper fairly heavy.

No brown sugar? No paprika?  Cayenne?  Garlic powder?

I use the same basic rub for pork and beef. I also start with a layer of yellow mustard.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 06:12:49 pm »
I use a rub of kosher salt, black pepper, little brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder.  I also make a marinade of water, beef base and beef broth.  I also inject the marinade into the beef and let it set overnight.  I just recently started using a marinade and injecting the beef and I'm real happy w/ the results.  I also cook my briskets in aluminum pans, but not sure if you have room in your BGE for two briskets and aluminum pans.  The pans hold the juice w/out limiting the smoke penetration and you have some great au jus.

As a side not, the last time I did a brisket I used Myron Mixon's hot and fast method which you smoke @ 300 for about 2.5-3 hrs, cover the pan w/ aluminum foil and cook for another 1.5-2 hours until the brisket is at 205 degrees.  Then remove from the smoker and wrap w/ a thick blanket and let it sit for about 3-4 hours at room temp.  I took all the juices in the pan, brought then to a simmer in a pan, and poured over the meat as I served it. 

I was skeptical of this method as I normally smoke low and slow, but damn if this wasn't one of the best briskets I've ever made. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 06:19:03 pm »
Why the flavor of the beef has to be covered up escapes me. However, everyone has their preferences. And I will have to try Myron Mixon's method. He's probably the best at it.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 06:24:40 pm »
Why the flavor of the beef has to be covered up escapes me. However, everyone has their preferences. And I will have to try Myron Mixon's method. He's probably the best at it.

I agree, and I used to just rub on some salt, pepper, garlic and onion, but after reading Myron's book last year, I started using marinades and injections.  I don't think it covers up the flavor of the beef, but enhances it and you end up w/ some great au jus to serve.  I was always hesitant in trying his hot and fast method and was expecting tough meat, but it was very tender and still had a great smoke flavor.  I still prefer to go low and slow, but will do fast and hot every now and then.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline cardsman1992

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 06:26:54 pm »
Last time I smoked ribs and brisket, I used the following on the brisket and left covered in refrigerator overnight:

Worcestershire, pepper (heavy), salt, seasoned tenderizer, garlic powder.  Turned out fantastic.  I'd never smoked a brisket before, so I have some learning curve on making the meat moister, but it tasted great.  I mopped it as it cooked with the same mop as my ribs, which was apple cider vinegar, lime, mustard, worcestershire, which I kept warm and mopped occasionally (every 2 hours or so).

I had marinated the pork ribs in the same ingredients I mopped them with, along with a rub of salt, pepper, seasoned tenderizer, cajun seasoning, and garlic.  If I were not using the mop for both pieces of meat, I would have poured the marinade off of the pork ribs, added to it, warmed it up, and mopped with it.  Since I was mopping the brisket too, I made new mop so as to not cross-contaminate.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 07:27:12 pm »
I thought that the brown sugar was important for making a good bark. I like the idea of injecting. My biggest worry is that it will be dry.
My second biggest worry is not having it done on time. Third is spiders.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 07:42:37 pm »
I thought that the brown sugar was important for making a good bark. I like the idea of injecting. My biggest worry is that it will be dry.
My second biggest worry is not having it done on time. Third is spiders.

sugar does help w/ creating a good bark, but you will still get a slight bark on the outside w/ just salt and pepper.  Many great Texas bbq joints use just coarse salt and pepper.  I just put a little sugar in my brisket rub, with much more going in my pork rubs.  I started cooking my briskets in aluminum pans a few years ago and that has really helped create some very moist and tender briskets.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 07:56:35 pm by thebigbaker »
Jeremy Baker

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 07:35:46 am »
I can keep them pretty moist with a generous mop.  I use apple cider vinegar, olive oil, worchestershire, salt, pepper, sometimes spices, and either bourbon or beer.

I mop it on every two hours or so.

Euge - do you flip your brisket?  Or just keep it fat side down?