Other than Brewing > All Things Food

2 briskets on the BGE cooking time?

(1/9) > >>

gmac:
We're having a party this weekend and I'm gonna do a brisket on the egg.  But, I think I'm gonna have to do two for the number of people that are expected so I'm asking.  Does the final cooking time matter if you do two versus one?  I know a single 20 lb piece of meat would take much longer than a 10 lb piece but in this case, it's 2 - 10 lbs pieces laid side by side.  My thoughts are that it wouldn't matter but does anyone have experience to the contrary?

My plan is to put them on at 11 pm Friday at 225-250 and plan for about an hour per lb.  That gives me a lot of extra time in case I need more plus time to rest.  I've heard everything from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours per lb depending on the source but I've never done this much meat at once before.

Thanks

euge:
I think you'll be fine with two briskets on the egg. They'll shrink a bit so if you have to overlap them initially that certainly won't be a problem. Fat-side down of course and when you hit the stall I'd foil them- which will save you at least three hours. You can even remove them once foiled and finish in the oven if you have the space there. Then wrap in towels and rest in a cooler until the internal temp drops to about 150 or less.

I'd budget up to 1.5 hours per pound @ 250 if you don't foil. Good-luck and don't forget to take some pics so we all can enjoy...

gmac:
Tell me more about the "stall" and foiling please.
I was going to go until the Thermapen said 185, pull them off and remove the points for burnt ends and then foil+towel wrap them and into the cooler to rest for however long I had to spare (figured a couple hours). 

Do you sauce your brisket or leave it unsauced?  I've had both and I'm not sure what to do.  I have sauce so I may do both.

euge:
Sauce on the side. Always.

When your briskets hit 155F they will "stall" and will not raise another degree for many hours until enough moisture has evaporated off; then they will start to slowly rise to target temp which is between 190-210F. At 190 I start testing for tenderness: if the temp probe slides into the flat like butter it is done. The point will be done long before the flat.

The evaporation actually cools the brisket down inside the cooker and causes the stall. So at 155F wrap your briskets in a double layer of foil. This will keep the moisture inside and the brisket will gently steam and braise in it's own fat. The interior temp will rise consistently. This will save you hours and hours of cooking time. There will be plenty of bark and smoke flavor. You can still do burnt ends once the rest is over. I like my burnt ends done with sauce.

So instead of a 10-12 hour cook you are done in six most likely. Saves time and fuel. I like to use a wired probe thermometer so monitoring can be done without opening the lid. Remember- each brisket is like a child- they all behave differently! ;)

Joe Sr.:
I haven't found that doing multiple pork shoulders or chuck roasts adds to the cook time.

Plus, you get more meat for the investment of your time.

When you foil the brisket, you can also add some apple juice inside the foil.  This helps push through the stall, also.

I don't foil most times, but I have and it works well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version