Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2 briskets on the BGE cooking time?  (Read 20275 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: 2 briskets on the BGE cooking time?
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 07:46:01 am »
Fat side down the whole time. With the BGE and the plate-setter the heat comes from the bottom primarily so the fat-cap shields the meat and renders away. I've done it the other way but the meat side gets overcooked even though the fat is supposed to baste the entire thing.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 07:48:25 am »
I haven't done fat-side down yet.  Do you do the same with pork shoulder?

Most recently I did three chuck roasts (your recommendation awhile back).  They were awesome.  I have a ton left over and frozen.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 08:08:54 am »
Oh man it's been a while with the shoulder. Probably. Thanks for the compliment- chuck has the best flavor IMO and so readily available. Now I must do one brisket-style... ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 08:13:40 am »
Oh man it's been a while with the shoulder. Probably. Thanks for the compliment- chuck has the best flavor IMO and so readily available. Now I must do one brisket-style... ;)

I got the chucks on sale, too.  I was going to do a brisket, which I can get un-trimmed for less than the chuck roast usually goes for.  But then there was this sale...  And they were nice fat cuts.

I used a rub from The Spice House called "Brisket of Love."  Lots of pepper in it.  They were delicious.

I also smoked some chicken wings and we had a pre-Halloween bash.  Chili, baked beans, chicken wings, chuck roast.  S'mores on the fire pit after dinner.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 08:29:49 am »
I don't have a place setter so I'm gonna get the fire going, put the grate on and then cover the grate with bricks.  That's what I usually do for ribs to keep the heat somewhat indirect.  Then I put a few strips of wadded up tin foil on the bricks to raise the meat up a bit and then the meat.  I will put the meat in foil pans this time as has been recommended.  Must get a plate setter...

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 09:18:11 am »
I don't have a place setter so I'm gonna get the fire going, put the grate on and then cover the grate with bricks.  That's what I usually do for ribs to keep the heat somewhat indirect.  Then I put a few strips of wadded up tin foil on the bricks to raise the meat up a bit and then the meat.  I will put the meat in foil pans this time as has been recommended.  Must get a plate setter...

You could put a sheet pan on the ring to partially block the coals and then use blocks to raise the grate. I use little blocks of wood resting on the ring when wanting to raise the grate without the platesetter. The 3-4" makes a difference.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 10:34:45 am »
Haven't made brisket in awhile.

Isn't there two ways of doing it? A time/temp for slicing vs. a time/temp for shredding?

Should you brine a brisket overnight like a pork shoulder / turkey?

Euge - I like the fat-side down approach. I make pulled pork more frequently, and the bottom can get dried out.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2012, 11:00:19 am »
Haven't made brisket in awhile.

Isn't there two ways of doing it? A time/temp for slicing vs. a time/temp for shredding?

Should you brine a brisket overnight like a pork shoulder / turkey?

Euge - I like the fat-side down approach. I make pulled pork more frequently, and the bottom can get dried out.

I personally like to do my pork fat side up and you could place a pan of apple juice under the meat to help keep the bottom from drying out.  You could also put the pork shoulder in an aluminum pan.  You may not get the same type of bark on the bottom of the pork as you do on top, but it will be very juicy and tender. 

I usually will cook the pork w/ good smoke for the fist 3-4 hours, then place it in a pan w/ some apple juice, cover w/ foil and let cook the rest of the way.  At the end (after meat is 200-205), I will remove the foil and and let sit in the smoker for about another hour (I don't add anymore heat after this as I just want to let the meat sit and keep warm).  After you pull the pork, take some of what's left in the pan, add a little apple cider vinegar, bring to a simmer in a pot and pour over the pulled pork or dip the pork in. Many time people will come over and eat the pork like this without any bbq sauce!  I do all my smoking in a large offset smoker, but I'm sure this would work great in a BGE too. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2012, 12:07:55 pm »
Brisket is just so different I just can't imagine brining it in regular circumstance for bbq. A better candidate for beef broth injection or some sort of marinade- some people like that...

Truth be told: brining a brisket you get corned-beef. That I can get behind in a big way but one needs to know what they are getting into if smoking the corned-beef because then they have pastrami which will have to be braised to reduce the saltiness.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
2 briskets on the BGE cooking time?
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2012, 12:32:30 pm »
I've smoked them fat-side up and down, but found that fat-side up seems to help keep the meat more tender and juicy. It's an ongoing debate and there are several variables at play but this has been my experience.

I like a basic dry rub overnight in the fridge prior to smoking. I think it enhances the flavor of the meat. Although I've also done them just salt and peppered with very good results. I also like to foil after 150F, helps tenderize and retain moisture.

Plan on a long smoke for sure. This is a cut that requires "low-n-slow".
Ron Price

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2012, 01:08:09 pm »
Brisket is just so different I just can't imagine brining it in regular circumstance for bbq. A better candidate for beef broth injection or some sort of marinade- some people like that...

Truth be told: brining a brisket you get corned-beef. That I can get behind in a big way but one needs to know what they are getting into if smoking the corned-beef because then they have pastrami which will have to be braised to reduce the saltiness.

+1.  There's no need to brine a brisket for bbq purposes and I've never used a brine w/ pork.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2012, 04:52:32 pm »
My keezer smells like garlic and pepper.   Guess that's because it has two 10 lb briskets wrapped up in cling film in it  :D 
Trimmed the meat and applied a traditional Canadian spice rub (read: bunch of stuff thrown together) to the brisket this afternoon.  No room in the fridge so it's in hanging out with the beer until tomorrow night when it meets the smoker.  Hope it works out.  Thinking of doing some poutine to go with the brisket.  Mmmm....poutine.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 05:15:32 pm by gmac »

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2012, 02:08:26 pm »
Wow, some of you guys are really overthinking your brisket.  I've done them many different ways, and same as brewing, I've found its best to keep things simple.

Dry rub:
2 parts coarse salt (kosher/sea)
1 part coarse black pepper

I use about ½ cup of rub per whole brisket, apply rub just before putting on the smoker.

I buy the biggest briskets I can find, they stay more moist.  They also take longer, but are well worth it.

I cook fat side down on my UDS at 225-250F.  Wrap in foil when internal temp hits 165F.  When internal temp hits 192F, remove from smoker, wrap in old towels and place in small cooler for 2-6 hours until it is time to eat.

I have found that going higher than 192F when wrapped in foil produces meat that is too tender and soft.  There is a lot of heat trapped in there, resulting in a bigger temp increase after you remove it from the smoker.

I budget 1hr/lb using this method on my UDS, but it is usually less.  I've given this "recipe" to some BGE owners who had the same results/cooking times.

I like using mesquite and/or oak with brisket.

The foiling method is critical for most home smokers to keep things nice and moist.  And most guests are blown away when they ask what is in the rub, and I tell them salt and pepper.  I wouldn't cook brisket any other way again.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 02:10:43 pm by markaberrant »

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2012, 02:37:01 pm »
Wow, some of you guys are really overthinking your brisket.

Ya know, I used to be the same way.  When I lived in Texas, simple was the way I learned.  When I lived in Alabama, I discovered new ways to do brisket, even though I thought those ways were a sin!  I've gotten my technique from members of my Mother's side of the family, who are all from Alabama, Georgia and North Carolina.  They are competition BBQers who are part of different teams that have won well over 100 medals and ribbons plus some best of awards and some Grand Champioin trophies.  Needless to say, our family get togethers are sever diet busters...especially when my Dad's side of the family (da Hawaiian side) does a hog.
Jeremy Baker

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2012, 02:52:13 pm »
Yeah, I wasn't insulting anyone or saying their methods don't work.  I'm a big believer in simple approach to things, but as we know in brewing, complicated recipes and simple recipes can win medals.

In my opinion, the BBQ hobby, particularly competition guys, go WAY OFF THE DEEP END.  There is a lot of money on the line, so they are looking to gain whatever advanatage they can, but a lot of it seems to be snake oil.

When it comes to pork, sure you've gotta dress it up a bit.  Marinades, brines, injections, mops, rubs and sauces can really enhance things, though I still don't think you should be doing all of them.  But for me, brisket is all about bringing out the meat flavour and not covering it up.

Again, just my opinion, try things out and see what works for you.  But in my experience, simple is better when it comes to brisket.