Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Campden Addtions  (Read 4934 times)

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Campden Addtions
« on: February 21, 2010, 08:31:37 pm »
When you add a campden tablet to water to eliminate the chloramine what are you adding to the water on a net basis?  Just looking around on the web it looks like adding one campden tablet to 10 gallons of water would add 6.7 ppm sulfur dioxide but that supposedly goes away as it reacts with chlorine and chloramine.  So does that mean that the addition of the tablet adds nothing on a net basis or are there some residual mineral additions that should be taken into account when building your water?

I know that the common convention is that one tablet should be added to 20 gallons of water.  Is there enough of an impact that only half a tablet should be added to 10 gallons? 
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
Re: Campden Addtions
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 10:55:01 am »
Municipal water with chloramine added will be above neutral pH, w/mostly monochloramine.  Added sulfur dioxide combines w/water to form some sulfurous acid that reacts w/monochoramine to produce ammonium, chloride, hydrogen, and sulfate ions in your solution.

SO2 + H2O --> H2SO3,

H2SO3 + NH2Cl + H2O --> NH4+ + Cl- + 2H+ + SO4-

Drinking water is supposed to be less than 4 ppm chloramine, so it looks like you are in the ballpark.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 11:43:32 am by BrewArk »
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline Jeff Renner

• Cellarman
  • Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 06:52:32 am »
Extra SO2 won't hurt, and I add some potassium metabisulfite powder (cheaper than campden tabs) to my mash as insurance against oxidation.  It's volatile and is gone by the end of the boil.  Some yeasts, especially lager yeasts, produce SO2, which helps against oxidation in the same way.
AHA Member since 1980, Life Member
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild charter member (1986)
AHA Governing Committee (2002 - 2011)
BJCP since 1991, National
"One never knows, do one?"  Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 10:05:57 am »
Extra SO2 won't hurt, and I add some potassium metabisulfite powder (cheaper than campden tabs) to my mash as insurance against oxidation.  It's volatile and is gone by the end of the boil.  Some yeasts, especially lager yeasts, produce SO2, which helps against oxidation in the same way.

Jeff, have you noticed any difference doing that?  I experimented with it fir a year and eventually stopped because I couldn't tell if it was doing anything.  Maybe I wasn't getting enough oxidation to worry about in the first place?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 10:09:52 am »
Thanks for the responses.  I'm going to relax and not worry about this, which I figured was the answer but I wanted to confirm.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 10:10:39 am »
What is the recommended dose to prevent oxidation? I seem to remember 25 ppm, but it is pretty hazy.
Brew on

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 10:17:06 am »
What is the recommended dose to prevent oxidation? I seem to remember 25 ppm, but it is pretty hazy.

Hazy here, too, Tom.  I recall I'd use either 1/2 or 1 tab in a mash for a 5 gal. batch, but I don't recall what concentration it was.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jeff Renner

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 11:13:38 am »
Denny - I can't say I've noticed any difference, probably for the same reason that you gave, but it's cheap insurance.  I don't always remember to do it.

I don't know the correct dosage, either, but I use about 1/4 tsp in a ten gallon batch.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 01:12:03 pm »
Jeff, I'm a big fan of cheap insurance!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 02:25:49 pm »
How gentle are you guys with your mash (or not gentle).

I'm usually pretty careful but on my first decoction, not so much.  I'll have to see if there is any difference as far as oxidation.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 03:03:08 pm »
Not too gentle.  I pour in water and stir vigorously. 

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Jeff Renner

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 04:17:26 pm »
I pour in water and stir, but I'm careful not to incorporate air.  Same when I do a decoction - I'm careful not to splash more than a minimum.

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 05:00:59 pm »
So you think the mash can oxidize in the time it takes to mash?  I would think that the O2 absorbed by any splashing would be driven off in the boil but that's just a WAG.

Offline Jeff Renner

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 05:12:52 pm »
This has been a hot and controversial topic over the years among homebrewers.  It has its own acronym, HSA, for hot side aeration.  In theory, at least, if the wort components are oxidized in the mash or any time before chilling, they won't get unoxidized (reduced) later, although the problem may not show up immediately.

If you are a masochist, do a google hbd.org site search for hsa and stand back!

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 05:21:17 pm »
Don't worry.  I've been there but it's been so long I don't remember most of what I googled.  I just always try to be as careful as possible in case HSA exists.  Just have to get my decoction process down.