General Category > All Grain Brewing

Campden Addtions

(1/4) > >>

tygo:
When you add a campden tablet to water to eliminate the chloramine what are you adding to the water on a net basis?  Just looking around on the web it looks like adding one campden tablet to 10 gallons of water would add 6.7 ppm sulfur dioxide but that supposedly goes away as it reacts with chlorine and chloramine.  So does that mean that the addition of the tablet adds nothing on a net basis or are there some residual mineral additions that should be taken into account when building your water?

I know that the common convention is that one tablet should be added to 20 gallons of water.  Is there enough of an impact that only half a tablet should be added to 10 gallons? 

BrewArk:
Municipal water with chloramine added will be above neutral pH, w/mostly monochloramine.  Added sulfur dioxide combines w/water to form some sulfurous acid that reacts w/monochoramine to produce ammonium, chloride, hydrogen, and sulfate ions in your solution.

SO2 + H2O --> H2SO3,

H2SO3 + NH2Cl + H2O --> NH4+ + Cl- + 2H+ + SO4-

Drinking water is supposed to be less than 4 ppm chloramine, so it looks like you are in the ballpark.

Jeff Renner:
Extra SO2 won't hurt, and I add some potassium metabisulfite powder (cheaper than campden tabs) to my mash as insurance against oxidation.  It's volatile and is gone by the end of the boil.  Some yeasts, especially lager yeasts, produce SO2, which helps against oxidation in the same way.

denny:

--- Quote from: Jeff Renner on February 23, 2010, 06:52:32 AM ---Extra SO2 won't hurt, and I add some potassium metabisulfite powder (cheaper than campden tabs) to my mash as insurance against oxidation.  It's volatile and is gone by the end of the boil.  Some yeasts, especially lager yeasts, produce SO2, which helps against oxidation in the same way.

--- End quote ---

Jeff, have you noticed any difference doing that?  I experimented with it fir a year and eventually stopped because I couldn't tell if it was doing anything.  Maybe I wasn't getting enough oxidation to worry about in the first place?

tygo:
Thanks for the responses.  I'm going to relax and not worry about this, which I figured was the answer but I wanted to confirm.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version