Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is this a good problem?  (Read 10086 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Is this a good problem?
« on: November 07, 2012, 09:49:30 am »
Think I'm developing weaze's problem where his friends were drinking all of his beer up- even when he wasn't at home.

One friend in particular comes over for "beer and a visit" and grabs the largest glass available -24oz and he usually drinks five of them in short order while I'm quietly drinking a couple 12oz.

I nearly snapped Monday when my keg of IPA kicked after a couple of these visits in the space of days. I think he could tell I was a bit miffed about it. In the scheme of things even homebrew is costly and time consuming to make. There has been no offer of "helping out" but then again I haven't asked. I know the guy doesn't have much money right now so feel bad about that. Friends for over 30 years...

SO the 24oz's are going away. So will the 20oz nonic glasses. It'll be 12oz flutes and maybe only the 6oz kolsch glasses.

The flipside is I get to brew more, and the compliments I get are gratifying. Still doesn't balance out things but maybe I'm just selfish. :-\
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
Re: Is this a good problem?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 09:52:16 am »
Yikes! Sounds like a bittersweet problem. It might be time to deploy the old "Beer Ingredient Fund" jar next to the tap! See how much they REALLY like it! It might slow down the rate of consumption too :P
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 09:55:35 am »
Euge,

Definitely a problem with brewing good beer!  I agree with the "beer ingredient fund" jar but that could also make things awkward if your bud is low on funds.  I'd go with my gut (after putting away the large glasses) about whether I'm being taken advantage of or not...

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 09:58:50 am »
...but that could also make things awkward if your bud is low on funds...

Right on. It might be awkward when you flip out and kick your friends to the street also! LOL ;)
Michael P Mitchem
AHA Member since 2011

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 10:17:04 am »
Think I'm developing weaze's problem where his friends were drinking all of his beer up- even when he wasn't at home.

One friend in particular comes over for "beer and a visit" and grabs the largest glass available -24oz and he usually drinks five of them in short order while I'm quietly drinking a couple 12oz.

I nearly snapped Monday when my keg of IPA kicked after a couple of these visits in the space of days. I think he could tell I was a bit miffed about it. In the scheme of things even homebrew is costly and time consuming to make. There has been no offer of "helping out" but then again I haven't asked. I know the guy doesn't have much money right now so feel bad about that. Friends for over 30 years...

SO the 24oz's are going away. So will the 20oz nonic glasses. It'll be 12oz flutes and maybe only the 6oz kolsch glasses.

The flipside is I get to brew more, and the compliments I get are gratifying. Still doesn't balance out things but maybe I'm just selfish. :-\

Get your Brewer's Notice approved, and it stops. 

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 10:23:37 am »
Get your Brewer's Notice approved, and it stops.

Don't think I haven't thought about it! ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 10:24:27 am »
I think you have the right idea by limiting the size of available glassware.  If he just refills it 10 times you haven't gained much though.  Start a conversation about the process and drop in what the ingredients/equipment cost here and there.

If his consumption is driven by him just planning to have 5 beers then it may lesson the problem.  He may just not realize how big the glass really is.

If he is coming over and drinking to hide from his current situation you may need to assist him in finding help for whatever his real problem is.  I love having friends over and seeing them enjoy my beer.  If one of them appeared to using my beer as a crutch in dealing with life I would try to get them to talk (before they get blasted).  I hate to use a cliche but he may be asking for help in a way he feels comfortable with and hoping that you will gently crack the ice and give him the opportunity to ask for help.  Bad times affect different people in different ways.  I would not confront him in any way, just let him know the door is open to talking about it.

Just some thoughts.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 10:30:50 am »
get that thingy off your driveway and put it on the bar 8)
seriously, tough problem though and i think the glassware change is a good start, and that is also a serious amount of beer to drink on a consistent basis (but that is the health care part of me coming out)
Don AHA member

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 10:35:04 am »
There is always the option of throwing him an "off" beer every once in a while to keep him on his toes ;)
Michael P Mitchem
AHA Member since 2011

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 10:36:14 am »
Good lord no! I'm much more inclined to drink daily and probamatically than he is. I think it is the "wow- there's a keg! In your living room!" and that it is seemingly limitless. He's seen enough of them kick though. Monday wasn't the first time. I even said "Dude- those are 24oz!" to remind him how much he was putting away. Hopefully he realizes that it's just under a gallon of beer...

And he has the most sensitive palate I've ever seen. If he doesn't like the beer he tell me and refuse another glass.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 10:41:05 am »
...Or you could just tell him the truth...tell him nicely, that he just about kicked the keg on his last few visits.
Ron Price

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 10:41:55 am »
Good Lawd! This guy is a pro!

It might be time for an Intervention. Have someone start following him around with a camera and doing interviews about his love of beer. Then have all your beer bros waiting one day on the couch when he comes over. Candy Finnigan would be a bonus!
Michael P Mitchem
AHA Member since 2011

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 10:49:05 am »
Make a sour or a brett and "accidentally" switch the tap handles?
<-- microbiologist brewster n00b.

Hops and toothpaste don't mix.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 10:54:32 am »
Switch the glasses.  I'm the one likely to over-do it on my beer and I've had to switch to smaller glasses.  How often is he over?  If this is a frequent thing I'd say something but if it's infrequent and he just really likes your beer I'd take it for the compliment it probably is and leave it at that. I have a friend that is over a lot and drinks a good portion of my beer but he does a lot for my family and he'd be the first guy to help if I ever needed it so to me, I'm happy to give him all the beer he wants.  Plus, I know if I could legally sell it, he'd be first in line which is nice.
Lucky for me, most of the others I know like Coors Light and hate my beer.  Works out just fine.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 10:56:28 am »
...Or you could just tell him the truth...tell him nicely, that he just about kicked the keg on his last few visits.

+1 to Ron on this one.  If I was in the same situation, I would not have a problem saying to one of my long-time buddies, "dude, at 5 x 24oz you are drinking about 1/5 of that keg at a pop.  How about a little something for the effort".....

Dave
Dave Zach