Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Saison de Noel part II  (Read 6173 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Saison de Noel part II
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 04:41:53 pm »
Meh, did that once.. wasn't as impressed with the final product. It'll do in a pinch, but..
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Saison de Noel part II
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 05:29:07 pm »
Meh, did that once.. wasn't as impressed with the final product. It'll do in a pinch, but..

Agreed.  I've tasted maybe 5-6 versions of syrups that people have made.  None of them held a candle to the real thing.  Spend the money....it's worth it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2012, 02:30:18 pm »
I made a dubbel using a homemade candy syrup. However, I used this method: http://ryanbrews.blogspot.com/2012/02/candy-syrup-right-way-hint-weve-been.html

I think it is a LOT closer than the other method, but I am still futzing with it to get the right flavors I want.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 05:34:46 pm »
Yeah I saw that recipe. I am too cheap to get the dark candi syrup. I may add more table sugar in attempt to account for that even though I know it probably is not an appropriate sub.

It's really not. Sure you'll match your strength, but the primary reason to use the dark candi syrups is because of the intense flavors that they provide. There's really no other way to get them.

Spring for the syrup once and you'll be shocked.

Plus eleventybillion

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 05:40:21 pm »

Agree but .... you can do some interesting things other than what is traditional. I once made a cinnamon candi syrup for a beer that turned out awesome. Thinking outside the box ... figs, maple, agave .... there is an endless way to make concentrated syrups. Doesn't always have to be traditional .... but if a traditional belgian dubbel or quad is what you are after there is just no substitute.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2012, 10:06:14 am »
I've made dark syrup a couple of times, but the real thing does give a much more complex flavor profile IMO, so that's what I use now.  My LHBS carries it all the time now, so buying it is much less of a hassle than it used to be.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 03:40:03 pm »
I made a dubbel using a homemade candy syrup. However, I used this method: http://ryanbrews.blogspot.com/2012/02/candy-syrup-right-way-hint-weve-been.html

I think it is a LOT closer than the other method, but I am still futzing with it to get the right flavors I want.

Wow, that is quite a bit different. Thanks. I will have to try this method to see if I like the results more.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout