Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thermometers  (Read 10773 times)

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: Thermometers
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2012, 09:57:19 pm »
I still preheat because its part of my process. I've adjusted on the fly when I've forgotten the preheat water, but now its like second nature.

Old habits die hard, I suppose.

It also ensures I get the outlet valve clean  :o I've forgotten to clean that out once or twice.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2012, 11:05:48 pm »
I do preheat my tun and also pull the grains out of the freezer far in advance to allow the mass to warm to room temperature. If a sunny day, the bag will sit in the sun ...

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2012, 09:03:19 am »
I do preheat my tun and also pull the grains out of the freezer far in advance to allow the mass to warm to room temperature. If a sunny day, the bag will sit in the sun ...

unless you don't put any grain BACk in the freezer it's not really advisable to store grain in a freezer. Everytim eit warms up you get condensation and that can cause moisture damage to the grain.

Dry and cool is ideal. same with coffee beans
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline DaveR

• Cellarman
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2012, 08:23:29 am »
I brewed last weekend and used my standard procedure of getting the strike water in the kettle just right (166 F). I poured it into my mashing cooler (no pre-heating) and added the grain. I used a fast reading digital thermometer right after mash in and sure enough the readings varied by as much a 6 degree F, even after stirring. I left it alone and 15 minutes later the mash had settled exactly where I wanted it to be -- 151 F. At 75 min it only dropped to 150.

I want this batch to attenuate down quite a bit, thus I'm mashing on the low end. I'm using WLP007, aiming for a fairly dry, light colored PA. Three days into fermentation it looks fine. BTW, I used some Fermcap since I was using a 6 gallon better bottle and was concerned about head space. My larger carboys were tied up. Krausen make it to the airlock anyway, but I've seen worse. FWIW I mashed 12 lbs of grain in 15 qts of water using my 5 gallon round cooler (about max for that unit). OG was 1.066. 

Offline DaveR

• Cellarman
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2012, 08:37:20 am »
strike water in the kettle just right (166 F).

Correction. Kettle water was 168 F.