Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: IPA's and Caramel Malts  (Read 27761 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: IPA's and Caramel Malts
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2012, 11:50:29 am »
Jeff, years ago I came to the conclusion that I didn't care for MO for APA/AIPA.  For my tastes, I find the malt flavor just doesn't complement the styles.  I, too, know of many people who feel it's the perfect base malt for ant style.  Not for me, thanks!  FWIW, I have an APA on tap now that's pils malt, flaked maize, and light candi syrup.  Hopped to about .9:1 BU:GU and dry hopped with Zythos.
And.......share perceptions, please.

I like it.  It's kinda different...a light APA.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2012, 02:05:38 pm »
I like them on the drier side for sure, with a fairly supportive malt backbone, but the hop bitterness and hop flavor/aroma absolutely must be fresh and the showcase of the beer. My favorite color for an IPA is in the range of 6-8SRM.

Ron,
That's my tastes too. How do you achieve the 'fairly supportive' malt backbone? What kind of BU:GU ratio are you shooting for?
-Amanda
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2012, 11:07:28 am »
I like them on the drier side for sure, with a fairly supportive malt backbone, but the hop bitterness and hop flavor/aroma absolutely must be fresh and the showcase of the beer. My favorite color for an IPA is in the range of 6-8SRM.

Ron,
That's my tastes too. How do you achieve the 'fairly supportive' malt backbone? What kind of BU:GU ratio are you shooting for?
-Amanda

I think a 1.25:1 is a good target, but keep in mind that your specific hop schedule plays a significant factor. In other words a 1.25:1 BU:GU ratio with >90% of your IBU's added at 60min vs. 60% of your IBU's at 60 min will mitigate or offset maltiness with bitterness. Try 1.25:1 with 75% of your IBU's at 60min and go from there.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 11:15:00 am by bluesman »
Ron Price