General Category > Extract/Partial Mash Brewing

Using grain bag for Partical Mash (Mini Mash)

<< < (2/3) > >>

showgun410:
Thanks for the info and tips.

Jimmy K:
Just don't put so much grain in that the bag looks like sausage. I've seen that and I'm pretty sure conversion and efficiency are going wrong.

Joe Sr.:
You definitely want the bag to be loose.  If it's tight, the center may not even get wet.

Poke it and stir it with a long handle spoon while it's mashing.

I have a large ss strainer that I put the grain bag into and let it drip back into the pot.  I also rinse the grains while they're in the strainer.

I put the bag on the side in a bowl and save the last bit of draining to use for starters.

bigchicken:

--- Quote from: mtnrockhopper on November 08, 2012, 06:35:59 AM ---Just don't put so much grain in that the bag looks like sausage. I've seen that and I'm pretty sure conversion and efficiency are going wrong.

--- End quote ---

+1
I use a grain bag at times and if I overfill, my efficiency is crap. Doesn't matter how much poking and stirring I do, I will lose way more gravity points than I'm comfortable with. Find a large enough bag to fit all the grains with ease.

alcaponejunior:
I found that you can strain, but the grain bags made it far easier and the beer came out great either way.  I've had one "accident" trying to "strain" beer and for partial mashes I kept on using grain bags after that.

EDIT: also consider getting paint strainer bags from home depot.  They hold a lot more than a muslin bag, and can be re-used if you clean them immediately after use.  I use them for hops mainly, but they work great in a mini-mash too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version