General Category > Beer Recipes

What do you think of this Coffeehouse Porter?

(1/5) > >>

The SWMBO loves Berkshire Brewing Coffeehouse Porter. I'm trying to make something similar. I get lots of coffee flavor and a wee bit of chocolate. Not really chewy or sweet but I'm gonna go in that direction anyway. It looks busy but I want to use up some malts (de-bittered black, CSIII). Not really married to the hops. I have tons of others that I could use. I'm thinking the RB, Coffee Malt and Pale Chocolate will give plenty of coffee/mocha flavor on it's own. Don't want a lot of harsh bitterness from the roasted/black malts. Would like the coffee bitterness to come through. Since I'm only at 3.3% dark malts, I'm using some C150 to get color and a bit more roastiness. Milk sugar is for a little sweetness. I've never used coffee or cocoa nibs before. I plan on adding 1# of coarse ground coffee after flameout and steep for 2-3 minutes (before chilling). I'll put the nibs in secondary. Anyway your thoughts:

Coffeehouse Coffee Porter (15 gal)
28 lbs Pale Ale Malt (1.8 SRM) 81.2 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Chocolate Malt, Pale (225.0 SRM) 4.3 %
1 lbs 2.0 oz Kiln Coffee Malt (165.0 SRM) 3.3 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) 2.9 %
1 lbs Crystal, Extra Dark (150.0 SRM) 2.9 %
6.0 oz Roasted Barley_300L (300.0 SRM) 1.1 %
6.0 oz Carafa Special III (470.0 SRM) 1.1 %
3.0 oz Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) 0.5 %
3.0 oz Black Malt, De-Bittered (550.0 SRM) 0.5 %
12.0 oz Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) 2.2 %
1.00 lb Coffee (Boil 0.0 mins)

3.00 oz Challenger [5.60 %] - First Wort 60.0 min 22.1 IBUs
1.50 oz Perle-2012 [10.30 %] - Boil 30.0 min 11.5 IBUs
1.50 oz Willamette [5.60 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
3.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (Fermentis #S-04)

6.00 oz Cocoa Nibs (Ghana) (Secondary 7.0 days)

Original Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.016
Bitterness: 33.6 IBUs
Color: 31.3 SRM

There is a lot going on there in terms of specialty malts. Might come out a little muddy if you aren't careful...

looks like stout to me.

that being said, and reinforceing mmitchems concern about muddy flavours, if your wife really wants something like the BBC coffeehouse porter I would start by contacting the brewery and seeing if they will give you some info on the ingredients. A lot of micro breweries will be happy to share, at least a basic ingredients list with homebrewers.

Joe Sr.:

--- Quote from: morticaixavier on November 08, 2012, 08:16:41 AM ---looks like stout to me.

--- End quote ---

Hmmm.... sounds like time for a debate about the difference between stout and porter!

Personally, I think that sounds like a lot of coffee.  Lately, I've added coffee at kegging.  I've added espresso and most recently added coarse ground coffee beans for five or seven days.  I have not yet tapped the dry-beaned porter so I can't give any informed analysis of how that method worked out.

--- Quote from: Joe Sr. on November 08, 2012, 08:46:58 AM ---
Personally, I think that sounds like a lot of coffee.  Lately, I've added coffee at kegging.

--- End quote ---

What he said.  You can brew some strong coffee and add it to the beer according to taste before packaging.

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version