Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Inspired by Oyster Stout...  (Read 5157 times)

Offline winnp

• 1st Kit
Inspired by Oyster Stout...
« on: November 04, 2009, 02:57:18 pm »
After reading this post about brewing with oysters, I've decided I'm going to try something bizarre with one of my next few beers.

So far, here are my thoughts:

(1) Some type of flavorful mushroom (morels, perhaps?) is near the top of my list.  I'm trying to decide what beer style would go well with this... I'm thinking maybe a brown ale or maybe an ESB.

(2) Shellfish of some sort, perhaps oysters.  Maybe clams or mussels?  Pretty sure this would have to be with a pretty rich/flavorful beer since my stomach turns a little at the thought.  But where's the fun if you're not taking a chance it'll be disgusting?  Perhaps I'll drive up to Jersey and taste that stout first....

(3) A strongly flavored root vegetable, like turnips or radishes.  Not sure what effects this might have on wort chemistry, but it sounds like fun.  Would probably be a pale ale or IPA, using the spiciness.

(4) Your suggestions?

This will be all-grain, a 5-gallon batch.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Inspired by Oyster Stout...
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 03:03:27 pm »
I wish I could remember all the variations that he did, but at the Chicago AHA convention (2005?), Larry Bell had a few different stouts include one that included mushrooms. Another had a weird chinese placenta extract in it that he found in the hotel mini-bar on his honeymoon in China. Another was a Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout.. so there's definitely some room to mess around in there!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline winnp

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 03:23:41 pm »
Hah!  I guess nothing seems weird after placenta and testicle stouts.  I don't intend to go that weird.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 03:28:10 pm »
I "borrowed" an idea from Randy Mosher and have made a wee heavy with chanterelle mushrooms a couple times.  Absolutely delicious!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

boulderbrewer

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 03:29:05 pm »
Here is a link to NB forum where a guy used Horseraddish in a beer. He soaked it in everclear rather than mashing it.

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78951&hilit=horseradish

Offline winnp

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 05:33:22 pm »
denny: any recollection as to what quantity of mushrooms you had to use to get a good flavor?

boulderbrewer: thanks for the link... I probably should have thought to search around on NB for stuff like that.  Looks like it could be tasty, but I think I'm leaning toward mushrooms for now.

Offline tfries

• Cellarman
  • Cheshire, OR
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 10:26:59 am »
I "borrowed" an idea from Randy Mosher and have made a wee heavy with chanterelle mushrooms a couple times.  Absolutely delicious!

Denny's Wee Shroomy is delicious!

Cascade Brewers Society

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 11:22:35 am »
denny: any recollection as to what quantity of mushrooms you had to use to get a good flavor?

boulderbrewer: thanks for the link... I probably should have thought to search around on NB for stuff like that.  Looks like it could be tasty, but I think I'm leaning toward mushrooms for now.

I used about 2.5 lb. chopped and added to secondary.  I tried soaking them in vodka on one batch and adding that, but didn't care for the added alcohol heat and felt it diminished the aroma.  The next year I just brushed the duff off and put them right into secondary.  Fortunately, both were good years for chanterelles and I was able to gather them from my woods.  Otherwise it would have cost me a fortune!  And FWIW, the we heavy recipe was Skotrat's Traquair House clone recipe which AFAIAC is the best wee heavy recipe I've ever run across.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline winnp

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 11:29:48 am »

I used about 2.5 lb. chopped and added to secondary.  I tried soaking them in vodka on one batch and adding that, but didn't care for the added alcohol heat and felt it diminished the aroma.  The next year I just brushed the duff off and put them right into secondary.  Fortunately, both were good years for chanterelles and I was able to gather them from my woods.  Otherwise it would have cost me a fortune!  And FWIW, the we heavy recipe was Skotrat's Traquair House clone recipe which AFAIAC is the best wee heavy recipe I've ever run across.

Thanks!

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 03:36:41 pm »
Here is a link to NB forum where a guy used Horseraddish in a beer. He soaked it in everclear rather than mashing it.

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78951&hilit=horseradish
Howdy, I migrated here with you folks.  Thanks for the mention.  I need to dust off a bottle of that beer and see where
Its gotten to....flavor wise.  Yep I still think I have a couple bottles left.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline valorian

• 1st Kit
    • Forest City Brewers
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 06:50:28 pm »
This all sounds veeeery disgusting. Shellfish in beer? I'll pass.

Offline muddypuddle

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 08:32:17 pm »

[/quote]

Thanks!
[/quote]

Hey Denny- 2.5 lbs in what volume of beer?  thanks!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 10:06:49 am »
5 gal.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 10:44:03 am »
I was browsing through Ray Daniels book "The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles".

...and in the Stout chapter he talks about Oyster Stout in that it can be made with the actual oysters themselves, just the liquid, or only the shells. I guess one could add any combination thereof as well.
Ron Price