Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Need to overcome irrational fear of kit beer  (Read 5321 times)

Offline Greg A.

• 1st Kit
Need to overcome irrational fear of kit beer
« on: November 08, 2012, 10:30:02 am »
So I have brewed 10 batches so far.  First was extract, the other 9 were all grain.  All of them were recipes I found online or in Brewing Classic Styles and then just ordered the ingredients. 

I have ordered ingredients a few times from Northern Brewer and started looking at their all grain kits (my first extract kit was from NB).  They seem very appealing.  Some get good reviews and the price is right.  It also allows me to stop worrying about the recipe so much and just get to brewing and nail down those processes.

But...I still have an irrational fear that this might be cheating.  Anyone else feel that way?  Has anyone brewed kit beer and found it worthy of submitting to a competition?
Greg Arndt
Homebrewer in training

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
Re: Need to overcome irrational fear of kit beer
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 10:36:27 am »
You are fine. 
Many kits/extract recipes win awards.  It's really more the brewer than the recipe.

See ya in Philly
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 10:36:42 am »
I don't think it's cheeting at all. recipe formulation is only one small part of brewing. your processes are far more important in the final result.

Check out morebeer as well, they have some really nice looking brewmaster series kits that they have worked on with the brewers (Vinnie from Russian River, JZ from heretic, The Bruery, etc.)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 10:44:54 am »
not only that but you can get the kit and even modify them easier if you want
Don AHA member

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 10:45:53 am »
Have you purchased brewing software?  How about reading Designing Great Beers?  There is nothing wrong with kit brewing at all.  But if you feel like you are cheating, then learn how to create your own recipes and read up on the styles.  I've found it to be the most fun part of the hobby and now have over 100 different recipes in my rolodex.  Maybe try one kit from each style you like and then learn how you can tweak it to your taste.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline Greg A.

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 10:57:43 am »
Have you purchased brewing software?  How about reading Designing Great Beers?  There is nothing wrong with kit brewing at all.  But if you feel like you are cheating, then learn how to create your own recipes and read up on the styles.  I've found it to be the most fun part of the hobby and now have over 100 different recipes in my rolodex.  Maybe try one kit from each style you like and then learn how you can tweak it to your taste.

Dave

I own Brewsmith (and have used it for each of the batches previously).  I also own and have read a majority of How to Brew, Designing Great Beers, and Radical Brewing.

Brewing the kits and getting a sense of how they taste and altering the kits in the future seems like a decent way of learning.  I just feel that what I've been brewing is just not that great and I want to be better.  I guess by purchasing a kit, I at least know that the people at NB know it to be a good kit and anything that happens after that point is all on me.
Greg Arndt
Homebrewer in training

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 11:01:53 am »
Keep reading, and keep brewing!   ;)

There could be a multitude of reasons why you may not be getting the results you are looking for.  There are a lot of great brewers on this forum who have taught me a lot.  Keep involved and ask questions.  You'll get there!

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 11:11:28 am »
Keep reading, and keep brewing!   ;)

There could be a multitude of reasons why you may not be getting the results you are looking for.  There are a lot of great brewers on this forum who have taught me a lot.  Keep involved and ask questions.  You'll get there!

Dave

+100!  I've learned so much since I started brewing last year and most of that is attributed to all the awesome help and information from this board.

I've used NB and Morebeer kits before, although I just look at their recipes and get the ingredients from my LHBS.  I usually will make small changes but occasionally will brew them exactly as they have them.  Like Mort mentioned, the process is far more important for the final result.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 01:34:42 pm by thebigbaker »
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 11:46:16 am »
I'd say that there is little difference between ordering ingredients based on a recipe from a book or website and ordering a kit. Either way you are using someone else's recipe.

I'd also say that people give way too much credit to recipes. Most of the quality of good beer comes from the process, not the recipe. So don't worry, it's not cheating. Those northern brewer kits do seem well priced too.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline bunderbunder

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 12:42:14 pm »
I don't feel like there's much difference between buying a kit and following a recipe, as long as the ingredients are the same.

Last time I went to Northern Brewer's brick and mortar store I got stuff to make one of their kit beers and one beer from a recent issue of Zymurgy.  They only have pre-assembled versions of their extract kits sitting in boxes on the shelves, for grain you have to measure out and crush it yourself. So only real difference between the recipe and the NB "kit" was where the ingredients list came from:  One was written on a sheet of paper I brought from home, and the other I found in a 3-ring binder in the grain room. 

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 01:22:15 pm »
What's wrong with cheating? 8)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 01:57:06 pm »

LOL +1
Dave Zach

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 03:00:22 pm »

LOL +1

In IT we call it reusing code.  It may or may not have been your code to start with but who cares.   ;D

No need to sweat the recipe while you're still learning to cook.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 02:27:18 am »
Coming up with recipes is my favorite part of brewing, but I usually start with a reference recipe or software-based guidelines and tweak to my tastes. Using kits is fine, but you might not be getting the best idea of what the ingredients are doing. At least be sure to taste the grains. You probably know more than you think you know. Use a kit or a recipe and try some minor changes to get some personal characteristics. Don't be shy. After 9 AG batches, your process should be good enough to start having fun with the recipes. It doesn't mean you can't tweak your process along the way.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 09:41:17 am »
The NB kits I've used have been excellent, I'd hesitate to tweak them since they really seem to have found a sweet spot for the given recipe.

That said, I usually make my own recipes.  NB lists theirs and I use that along with BCS and then go from there.  I find thats a great way to get an idea of what a modern recipe should have.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO