Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: cider scare?  (Read 4252 times)

Offline skrag6713

• Cellarman
cider scare?
« on: November 08, 2012, 03:47:47 pm »
so my buddy and i both started batches of cider a couple months ago.  both were fresh pressed apples from the same orchard; both were originally transported from the orchard in 5gal buckets that were cleaned in the same process, at the same time.  both were hit with campden tablets as soon as we got to our respective homes.  his has formed a translucent almost milky skin on the top (is this what's called a pellicle?), but mine hasn't.  variables : he used cotes de blanc, i used nottingham; he's fermenting in plastic, i'm in glass; his basement is warmer than mine.

is the skin a property of the cotes de blanc?  is this possibly an infection?  it doesn't smell like vinegar yet, so i told him not to dump it out 'till we got some answers.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: cider scare?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 04:29:01 pm »
The possibilities are endless. Campden isn't a panaecea, things can survive and if given the correct conditions can start to grow again if the yeast doesn't out compete them fast enough.

I don't know if cotes de blanc forms a pellicle, I would guess not but it's possible.

Certainly don't dump it. some things that form pellicles are lovely. as is cider vinegar for that matter.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 04:46:28 pm »
I had a little "pellicle-style action" on my last cider.  I just went ahead with it and it was fine.  When it smells like vinegar, it's vinegar...til then, it isn't.  Enjoy (in moderation).

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 07:04:27 pm »
The warm temp may have something to do with it.  IME, cotes does not create a pellicle.  Check the gravity, see if it's finished, transfer to cold under the pellicle, serve.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 11:59:53 pm »
Cotes de blanc does not form a pellicle in my experience.

Most likely his plastic fermenter was not sufficiently sanitized.  That doesn't mean it will taste bad though, let it ferment out and see what he ends up with.  If it tastes good, drink it quickly.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 06:47:34 am »
There are things in that grow in cider that make it taste bad, and things that don't hurt it, and a few that make it taste better.  The only way to know if to try it. I doubt it is the yeast though. It could be that your friends container is not airtight. Sometimes stored cider will develop blooms if oxygen is allowed in. If that is the case it can be transferred to a more airtight container with no headspace.  Either way, if it is finished fermenting, transferring and adding sulfite might help.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline skrag6713

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 03:53:07 pm »
so i'm getting that i should have him skim the pellicle, sample it, and - as long as it tastes fine - bottle it up ASAP?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 12:51:36 am »
so i'm getting that i should have him skim the pellicle, sample it, and - as long as it tastes fine - bottle it up ASAP?
Only bottle it if it is finished fermenting.  Once it is done, then bottle it and drink it quickly.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 10:56:55 am »
Rather than skim the pellicle, I'd rack to another container. Stick the racking cane through it and syphon from underneath.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 02:13:21 pm »
My perry developed a pellicle. It stills tastes OK, but it's a bit acetic. Mort's right that sulfite isn't magic. I like sour beverages, but if it gets much worse I'll probably pasteurize the perry and blend with a beer.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.