Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: These guys need to clean up their act  (Read 28279 times)

Offline milehimark

• 1st Kit
These guys need to clean up their act
« on: November 09, 2012, 11:17:28 am »
I find this extremely disheartening and maddening. Not only is this a total D-head move, but it makes it worse that it's totally hypocritical. This homebrew shop did not originate the phrase/name "Strange Brew" (see article below):

http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociety/2012/11/strange_brewing_trademark_threat.php

Here's my post to their FB page:
Take a hint from some true world-class brewers. Collaboration, Not Litigation.

I can't believe there's infighting in a market where you only make up 5% of the market share and face mounting attacks and pressure by the Macro brewers and their lobbyists. You should have known that this dickheadedness is going to spread through beer forums like wildfire and lose you business. It's also insult to injury that the phrase "Strange Brew" was not even originated by you, AND your exploitation of the dancing bear. For shame!

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
Re: These guys need to clean up their act
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 11:58:58 am »
Interestingly, the website of the aggressor (http://www.homebrew.com) appears to be down.
<-- microbiologist brewster n00b.

Hops and toothpaste don't mix.

Offline milehimark

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 12:10:40 pm »
Tinfoil hat alert! One of the big brewers is behind this:

This really reminds of the whole Monster vs. Vermonster debacle.  This current issue reeks of big corporate money. In my humble opinion, besides Northern Brewer, Morebeer, and Midwest Supplies, I don't think that any other homebrew store has enough money to pay a $500/hour attorney to litigate something where there are no damages and only a small chance at getting attorney's fees. I think a bigger player is behind this. I say Strange Brewing Co. let the suit happen, go to discovery, and see who's footing the bill.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 12:24:04 pm by milehimark »

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 12:15:15 pm »
Interestingly, the website of the aggressor (http://www.homebrew.com) appears to be down.

They got it wrong in their letter - it's http://www.home-brew.com

I hope the shop comes to their senses. This will turn into a PR nightmare for them.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 12:23:13 pm »

They got it wrong in their letter - it's http://www.home-brew.com

I hope the shop comes to their senses. This will turn into a PR nightmare for them.
Thanks for that.  It's worth knowing who not to buy from, as well as where to shop for supplies.
<-- microbiologist brewster n00b.

Hops and toothpaste don't mix.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 12:31:20 pm »
The Strange Brew Tavern mentioned in the letter back to the lawyer is in the city I work in and I have never confused the two.

I have heard of Strange Brew homebrew supply since it is somewhat local to me, and wanted to check them out someday, but not going to happen as long as this stuff goes on.  I understand wanting to protect your trademark, but this company must think homebrewers and craft beer drinkers are a bunch of knuckle dragging neanderthals if they think we can't tell the difference.

First rule of the Brewer's Code, dude..."Don't be a dick!"
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 12:53:57 pm »
Who was it that said it takes so long to build a reputation, but only takes 5 minutes to destroy it? This homebrew shop guy is doing just that. Live and let live...the names aren't exactly the same.  How absurd, this whole thing is.
Jesse

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 01:09:41 pm »
. . . my client has generated a massive customer base spanning the entire United States, including well over two dozen active customers throughout Colorado and Metropolitan Denver.

Over two dozen throughout Colorado and Metropolitan Denver?!  Business is obviously gangbusters!  It's no wonder they go to such extremes to protect their brand! 

These two operate in vastly different geographical regions and in distinct markets.  There may be some overlap, but people interested in craft beer know the difference.  And having an internet business doesn't grant you trademark dominance throughout the universe, especially when you've only captured a measly 24+ customers in the region where the alleged infringement is occurring.

When I was in law school, I sat in on a summary judgment hearing on a trademark dispute between two restaurants.  One was a chain based in D.C., the other here in Minneapolis.  The D.C. chain opened a restaurant in the Minneapolis area and began aggressively trying to make the Minneapolis restaurant change its name.  The D.C. chain is called Cosi Sandwiches.  The Minneapolis establishment was called Kozy's Steaks and Seafood (eponymously named after the owner, Bob Kozlowski, a longtime restaurant owner in the Twin Cities).  Cosi is a casual/fast-food operation that serves sh!tty, overpriced sandwiches served on usually-stale flatbread.  Kozy's is no longer in business, but it was an upscale steaks and seafood joint in a fairly affluent part of town.  I'll never forget what Chief Judge Michael Davis (federal district of Minnesota) said at the end of the oral argument: "Well, gentlemen.  I've eaten at both establishments, and I've got to tell you -- I've never been confused."
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 01:15:20 pm by Pawtucket Patriot »
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 01:17:30 pm »
Wow. That company will never see one red cent of my money.
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 01:23:19 pm »

I tried to find their FB page, but I got 7 million results when I searched "strange brew"

Ironic.

-Barbarosa

Offline bunderbunder

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 01:33:58 pm »
Tinfoil hat alert! One of the big brewers is behind this:

I'm not so convinced.  Reading the attorney's letter, it sounds more like there was some confusion, particularly with one of their suppliers, that inconvenienced or irritated the owners, and they're (over)reacting to that situation.

Sad that they didn't think to try handling it in a more grown-up manner, first. 

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 01:34:54 pm »

I tried to find their FB page, but I got 7 million results when I searched "strange brew"

Ironic.
http://www.facebook.com/strangebrew

Bad comments galore here. 
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 01:35:22 pm »
Here's the Facebook support page, added about 3 hours ago.

http://www.facebook.com/KeepStrangeBrewingStrange?ref=stream
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 01:38:45 pm »
Sad that they didn't think to try handling it in a more grown-up manner, first.

They of all people should have known to RDWHAHB.

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 01:47:28 pm »
Bad comments galore here.

No doubt. Looks like they're going to need to hire someone to delete fb comments all day.

-Barbarosa