Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: These guys need to clean up their act  (Read 28281 times)

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
Re: These guys need to clean up their act
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 02:42:11 pm »
Here's the Facebook support page, added about 3 hours ago.

http://www.facebook.com/KeepStrangeBrewingStrange?ref=stream

In the 3 hours it's been up the KeepStrangeBrewingStrange has surpassed the number of likes of the shop itself.
It looks like the shop just dug its grave... Social media storm in the works.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 02:46:43 pm »
it sounds like bad advice from lawyers who profit from legal action....

I would hope Strange Brewing Company, Denver Colorado will always take the high road, and if they end up having to change their name, I will still visit (and will never be confused, nor will I ever shop at that other place).

For those of you who haven't visited, the brewery is off the beaten path (cheap rent), but so worth the visit for both the beer and the great people behind it.  They have nice food trucks that frequent the place as well.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 03:15:01 pm »
the "fleshy headed mutants" are not friendly. radiation has made them enemies of civilization. 8)
Don AHA member

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 04:38:19 pm »
I wonder what is considered "massive"? I've never heard of either company. And if the HBS was that big I'd have heard of it for sure.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 05:03:05 pm »
the "fleshy headed mutants" are not friendly. radiation has made them enemies of civilization. 8)
Bob and Doug are taking the high road and not suing anyone. 
Neither is Eric Clapton
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9G3SVdODm4

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2012, 06:42:03 pm »
Been on short end of this stick chased by pub 2000 miles away we have changed the name and trademarked the current name.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2012, 12:53:03 am »
it sounds like bad advice from lawyers who profit from legal action....

I would hope Strange Brewing Company, Denver Colorado will always take the high road, and if they end up having to change their name, I will still visit (and will never be confused, nor will I ever shop at that other place).

For those of you who haven't visited, the brewery is off the beaten path (cheap rent), but so worth the visit for both the beer and the great people behind it.  They have nice food trucks that frequent the place as well.

i agree
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2012, 01:33:31 am »
I think they must have taken their FB page down or something, because that just takes me to my home page.
http://www.facebook.com/strangebrew

But yeah, I can't imagine ever buying anything from them.  If your first contact with them is through your lawyer that's a problem.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
These guys need to clean up their act
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2012, 07:58:42 am »
This is a sad effort on the part of the plaintiff. They have so much to lose if they follow through with this. This is the action of an obsessed entrepreneur. They are blinded by their obsession. They will lose much more than they will ever gain if anything at all IMO. Such a disgrace.
Ron Price

Offline paul

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2012, 08:37:17 am »
I generally agree with the group that the homebrew shop went too far with this.  The two Stranges are in two different markets geographically and product-wise. 

But the HB shop does have a legitimate concern, however, if they were contemplating opening a brewery and wanted to use their homebrew shop name.  In that case, they would obviously want to make sure that two years down the road, once their brewery is established, the Colorado Strange doesn't send them a similar letter.  I'm not sure who has the greater claim to the name in this case.

But rather than sending a nastygram, it would seem to be better to meet to discuss solutions.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2012, 10:46:50 am »
I think they must have taken their FB page down or something, because that just takes me to my home page.
http://www.facebook.com/strangebrew

But yeah, I can't imagine ever buying anything from them.  If your first contact with them is through your lawyer that's a problem.

I looked before like the page was just started in October (bad timing) so I'm not surpised they'd just delete it. All of the posts were just autoposts from twitter and it was generating tons of bad publicity. Still, it's foolish to think you can fight online commentary.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2012, 10:55:13 am »
Also, I'd say the homebrew shops claim that they originated the assocation between their name and beer is false.  The movie 'Strange Brew' did that a decade ealier.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2012, 12:22:39 pm »
Strange Brew trademark (that is alive) was registered in 2007 for beer and beer supply retail.
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4002:ul55e4.2.2

The federal trademark is registered for the homebrew shop. The strange brewing brewery was established in 2010 and by the trademark has no chance to win this dispute.

From the homebrew shop perspective. They have to defend their trademark otherwise they would lose the trademark. It is that cut and dry. I do not think that homebrew shop owner is happy to pay the legal fees ether.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 12:31:42 pm by Thirsty_Monk »
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2012, 12:54:54 pm »
It has become clear that my continued use of the on-line name "gmac" clearly establishes my unique and individual use of the letter "g".  It has also been noticed that many of you are using the letter "g".  Please remit 1 dollar or one bottle of homebrew to me for each unapproved use of the letter "g" that you have committed in the past 2 years. 
Thank you
"g" mac

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2012, 01:13:48 pm »
What if they just remove all of the vowels? "Strng Brw" ::)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis