Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: PC help - dern wifi won't work  (Read 8112 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: PC help - dern wifi won't work
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2013, 06:16:38 pm »
Shouldn't be the router since I am surfing now on my iPad on the same router. That said, I have restarted the router several times today.

How old is the router? I used to have a similar problem and everyone in the house had to keep re-booting the router. I spoke with a tech guy and because of the age he seemed to feel it was basically crapping out so I got a new unit and haven't had any problems since then. Like everything else these days they just become disposable ;D

I had a problem similar to the Major's where one device would randomly inexplicably connect but others wouldn't wouldn't even see the router. Then I couldn't complete signing on or the bandwidth would be super low. Switching channels didn't work. Connecting with encryption or without broadcasting was fruitless. The wifi router's OS got corrupted so I just did a reinstall with the latest firmware. Rock solid ever since.

The Major's problem is most likely windows based. I had horrible experiences with windows and wifi in XP.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
Re: PC help - dern wifi won't work
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2013, 05:01:46 am »
The red x tells me it's a problem with the computer, either with the computer itself or Windows. The x means that the wireless is disabled. First click on the wireless status bar, then click on "Open Network and Sharing Center." Then click on "Change adapter settings" on the left. Right-click on "Wireless network connection" and try to enable it there. If that doesn't work, make sure there isn't a physical switch somewhere on the computer that's been tripped. If that doesn't work, right-click on "computer" and select "manage," then choose "Device Manager" on the left. Under "Network adapters," you should see something with "wifi" in the name. Right-click on that and choose "update driver software." Tell it to search automatically (it will take some time). You'll have to have an internet connection, so plug a cable from your computer to your router. That should keep you busy for a while.