Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Spilling Beer  (Read 14738 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Spilling Beer
« on: November 10, 2012, 07:56:11 am »
I must say that a lot of beer has been spilled at my house... 8)

But, last night I fell asleep holding a full glass of beer in my hand while sitting on my couch. About half of it splashed on me but the rest went into he couch. :(

There is a distinct sickly sweet candy smell now emanating from the couch which I find highly objectionable. The slip cover has gone into the washer. I dabbed at the area with a hot cloth but it hasn't seemed to do much.

How in the hell do I get rid of this odor?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
Re: Spilling Beer
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 08:22:09 am »
If you're lucky, the cushions come off and the covers on them zip off.  Then you can wash the covers and give the open-cell foam inside a bath, or even replace it if needed.

Less lucky, and you get my guesswork. I've heard great things about cleaning carpet by pouring on fairly large amounts of water, then sucking it out with a shopvac. Depending on the material, doing this and putting it somewhere it can dry well might do the trick.

Maybe you need to invest in that granny couch shrink-wrap.
<-- microbiologist brewster n00b.

Hops and toothpaste don't mix.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 02:31:53 pm »
Sorry I can't help with the smell.  I just wanted you to know that my wife has a name for that, "sacrificial beer."  I often have a sacrificial beer at the end of the day.  Mostly it makes it to the sink, but occasionally it gets onto the couch or the rug.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 02:34:09 pm »
The slip cover is back on the couch. I think my effort helped a little or maybe just got used to it... ::)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 02:44:54 pm »
try wheat germ. get a big old bag of it. it's pretty cheap. It works best if applied immediately but it still helps later. also baking soda is great for getting rid of any kind of smells
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 04:40:41 pm »
Baking soda! Why didn't I think of that!?

Obviously a man with experience.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 05:30:59 pm »
Club soda is an oldie but a goodie...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 01:24:34 am »
I use Nature's Miracle - he have it around because my dog leaks (apparently it's not uncommon for spayed females).  It works well on stale beer aromas and is good at getting child vomit smells out of couches as well.  Oh, and it works on the dog pee too.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 03:23:07 pm »
Look into an automotive interior cleaning product that is also a carbon eater - I bought a used vehicle that was owned by a smoker and it worked great.  Also, maybe some PBW?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 04:19:39 pm »
But, last night I fell asleep holding a full glass of beer in my hand while sitting on my couch. About half of it splashed on me but the rest went into he couch. :(

Gosh, I'm glad that's never happened to me ::)
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 04:32:57 pm »
On the PBW Label, it says it is good for removing stains. I haven't tried it. Might be good in this situation. Anyone ever tried PBW for stain removal?
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 06:05:42 pm »
On the PBW Label, it says it is good for removing stains. I haven't tried it. Might be good in this situation. Anyone ever tried PBW for stain removal?

:o

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 06:29:13 pm »

I have, on several occasions. it makes them disappear, a tblsp in a couple pints warm water, spray on and scrub.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 06:50:21 pm »

I have, on several occasions. it makes them disappear, a tblsp in a couple pints warm water, spray on and scrub.

I'm concerned that this would effect color etc? Another good thing to know that it is safe to use on furniture.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 07:32:34 pm »
Unfortunately that's much more than the angel's share. The best way to rid of it is to wash the beer out of the fabric if possible. Removable covers should be removed and soaked in warm water to dissolve the beer out of the fabric. Another method is ozone treatment which nuetralizes the odor. Ozone works but will cost a few bucks to utilize.
Ron Price