Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Post approval inspection  (Read 2155 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Post approval inspection
« on: November 30, 2012, 03:13:21 pm »
OK, so I just got a call from an investigator with the TTB.  Will be meeting with him Tuesday evening as a "post approval inspection."  Over the phone he said he just wants basically the same infrormation we have already sent to them in Ohio.  Plus we'll have our excise tax reports and Brewer's Report of Operations for him, should he ask. 

Any hints from any of you that have been through such an inspection?  I have government audits all the time in my healthcare job, but have no clue what to expect in a brewery.  The weirdest thing is that this will be the first time ANY person from ANY government agency has been to our brewery, and we've been brewery for about 4 months now. 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Post approval inspection
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 03:30:07 pm »
We didn't have any problem with our post approval inspection. Lady was friendly, told us a few things to do differently and gave us some paperwork that showed how she liked it done. They looked through our books. Was no big deal. I was a bit concerned at first, but was NBD.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Post approval inspection
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 03:34:36 pm »
Thanks Keith.  I'm sure your "books" are a bit different than mine.  For the whole third quarter I paid less than $10.00 in excise tax.  (not a typo, LOL)

Did she want to see monthly inventories of everything? 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
Post approval inspection
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 06:12:09 pm »
She/he is going want to specifically see a record of what you have shipped. The TTB is about making money for Uncle Sam. You show you haven't slighted the you got nothin'' to worry about. You are allowed to consume and take home a certain amount of beer per year tax free, kinda like homebrewing. But you need to document what you sell very carefully.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 08:06:21 pm »
No inspection so far on my part.
All the records should be in your accounting system.
I do also summary of my sales in BBL for tax purpose.
Everything is done electronily and backed up.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
Post approval inspection
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 07:13:58 am »
The TTB wants to see a detailed record of every work day, wether you brew, clean kegs, mop floors, or whatever. This is something I have tried to do but have fallen massively short at. My record keeping has been atrocious. But we have documented every brew day and every keg or case of beer we have shipped. Not looking forward to the next inspection but I have known others with similar problems as myself and the inspection has never turned out bad. All they really want is to make their tax money.

That said, be sure your bright tanks are calibrated.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 09:18:48 am »
The TTB wants to see a detailed record of every work day, wether you brew, clean kegs, mop floors, or whatever. This is something I have tried to do but have fallen massively short at. My record keeping has been atrocious. But we have documented every brew day and every keg or case of beer we have shipped. Not looking forward to the next inspection but I have known others with similar problems as myself and the inspection has never turned out bad. All they really want is to make their tax money.

That said, be sure your bright tanks are calibrated.

Bright tanks?, I don't need no stinkin' bright tanks.  LOL

I'm a homebrewer that can legally sell my beer.  I have a Blichmann top teir system with keggles for my HLT, Mash tun, and boil pot.  I brew 10 gallon batches, and ferment in buckets.  Then transfer straight to a corny.  No bright tank involved.  (although we are about to get 30 gallon boilermakers for HLT and Mash tun with a 55 gallon boilermaker for the boil pot.)

Over the weekend I reviewed all my logs and such, and I think I'm ready.  My racking and bottling log is one document since I don't use a bright tank.  I had to fudge my Report of Operations because of that. 

The question I have is about the monthly inventory.  I have only been counting beer that is ready for sale, not in the fermenters.  I hope that's right.  There's really never any record of what is in the fermenters unless you take the brewing log, and subtract out what is on the racking and bottling log. 

Oh well.  We'll find out tomorrow at 4:30pm PST.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 07:13:22 pm »
So how did it go?
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 10:13:42 pm »
So how did it go?

The investigator was very cool.  Firm in the regulations, but a good guy.   The biggest thing that surprised me is they want me to account for my spent grain.  Basically keep a log of the pig farmer that comes and picks it up.  Also, my website and facebook from home brewing need to be updated to make it clear to the public that "Dungeness Brewing Co." only became a reality as of 7-19-12, when our Brewer's Notice was approved.  And, the last thing is making sure that the person who signs monthly inventories, has signature authority registered with the TTB.

The whole thing was educational, and the TTB guy was pleasant and helpful.