Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: FWH with BIAB  (Read 4000 times)

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
FWH with BIAB
« on: November 12, 2012, 03:23:59 pm »
any ideas on how best to do this?

Was thinking of just tossing a FWH addition between the bag liner and the kettle, then leave them in while I am warming up to and during the boil?

SUB-question:  anyone ever FWH a Cali common?
Bubblin': helles
Flowin': IIPA, Doppelbock, Flanders
Sittin': More Flanders, Braison,
Thinkin': wit, more helles

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: FWH with BIAB
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 03:26:38 pm »

Was thinking of just tossing a FWH addition between the bag liner and the kettle, then leave them in while I am warming up to and during the boil?

confused. FWH goes in AFTER the mash. if you BIAB it shouldn't make a difference. You add the hops after you pull the bag. with BIAB you don't boil with the bag in place or even raise the temp unless you are doing a step mash.

so mash as normal, then when you pull the grains and start heating the wort to a boil, add the FWH.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 03:41:13 pm »

confused. FWH goes in AFTER the mash. if you BIAB it shouldn't make a difference. You add the hops after you pull the bag. with BIAB you don't boil with the bag in place or even raise the temp unless you are doing a step mash.

so mash as normal, then when you pull the grains and start heating the wort to a boil, add the FWH.

This,

To answer your second question, yes, I FWH my California common. I use 1oz Northern Brewer as a FWH and then another 1oz at 20 minutes-it's a huge favorite and gets brewed several times a year!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
FWH with BIAB
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 08:24:28 pm »
Gotcha.  When I had done it in the past, I had added them to the runoff vessel.  Will just throw them in when I pull the bag.

Re: the Cali common, the FWH REPLACES the 60 minute addition?  So a total of two ounces NBs in it, FWH and 20 minute?

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 06:43:35 am »
Gotcha.  When I had done it in the past, I had added them to the runoff vessel.  Will just throw them in when I pull the bag.

Re: the Cali common, the FWH REPLACES the 60 minute addition?  So a total of two ounces NBs in it, FWH and 20 minute?

Correct!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
FWH with BIAB
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 06:29:14 am »
Last dumb question, I am making jamils cc which is VERY malty.  Will I get similar ibu s from a FWH as a 60min addition?  I want to make sure I have enough bitterness to stand up to it.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 08:40:14 am »
Last dumb question, I am making jamils cc which is VERY malty.  Will I get similar ibu s from a FWH as a 60min addition?  I want to make sure I have enough bitterness to stand up to it.

THere is no concensus but I have read that it can either be calculated as a 20 minute addition, based on taste perception, or about 10% above a 60 minute addition in analyzed IBUs. It's a softer bitterness but it still stands up well to maltiness in my opinion. If you are worried you can bump the quantity a bit.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 09:36:19 am »

My experience is that the IBU will measure more but taste like less.  Since we taste beer and aren't usually concerned with how it measures in our glass, I'd say no, you won't get similar bitterness.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 09:37:30 am »

To me, FWH tastes like a 20 min,l addition.  I always use a 60 min. addition along with FWH.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
FWH with BIAB
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 03:22:47 pm »
I didn't end up FWH ing, but i don't understand how, if I FWH and leave the fwh hops in for the boil, why I don't get similar bitterness.  Is this assuming u remove FWH hops before boiling (but after lautering)? 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
FWH with BIAB
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 09:29:27 am »
I didn't end up FWH ing, but i don't understand how, if I FWH and leave the fwh hops in for the boil, why I don't get similar bitterness.  Is this assuming u remove FWH hops before boiling (but after lautering)?

There are chemical changes that happen when you FWH that result in the bitterness tasting less bitter, even though it measures a bit more IBU.

www.dennybrew.com