General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

First Sour beer

<< < (3/3)

reverseapachemaster:
I don't sanitize the mouth of the bottle before pouring the beer but I definitely do before pouring out the dregs or adding anything back into the bottle. When I use dregs to culture yeast I flame the mouth and then add wort in the bottle to create the first step of starter. You know the environment in the bottle is clean and that's where the yeast are anyway (I credit TBN for this idea). I never create a starter for sour dregs myself but you could do it in the bottle if you do.

brewmasternpb:
Well...the starter never took.  I did an 8oz starter with the dregs and let it sit for 3 weeks with nary a bubble to be seen... the wort was sweet after those 3 weeks.  Oh well :)

AmandaK:

--- Quote from: brewmasternpb on December 18, 2012, 10:13:04 PM ---Well...the starter never took.  I did an 8oz starter with the dregs and let it sit for 3 weeks with nary a bubble to be seen... the wort was sweet after those 3 weeks.  Oh well :)

--- End quote ---

Dang. Well at least you know your sanitation was up to snuff!

Has anyone had success growing up a culture from the barrel aged sours from Avery?

kylekohlmorgen:

--- Quote from: AmandaK on December 27, 2012, 02:14:38 PM ---
--- Quote from: brewmasternpb on December 18, 2012, 10:13:04 PM ---Well...the starter never took.  I did an 8oz starter with the dregs and let it sit for 3 weeks with nary a bubble to be seen... the wort was sweet after those 3 weeks.  Oh well :)

--- End quote ---

Dang. Well at least you know your sanitation was up to snuff!

Has anyone had success growing up a culture from the barrel aged sours from Avery?

--- End quote ---

I've heard they use lots of different (and perhaps commercially unavailable) brett strains, so its definitely worth a shot!

Since they're big beers, you'll probably get just brett (and possibly local flora?) from bottle dregs. Commercial pedio strains can survive at higher alcohol levels, but they can be fussy in subsequent cultures. My next collection of bottle dregs will have a pitch of Wyeast pedio for good measure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version