Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: using gelatin when bottling  (Read 1707 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
using gelatin when bottling
« on: November 14, 2012, 09:57:17 am »
Hey guys. In the past I was advised not to use gelatin when bottling due to possble carbing issues. I am sure this topic is posted up here somewhere but I was too lazy to look around.

Honestly, I have more issues keeping the settled yeast out of the glass but I was just curious as to what the consensus is with this. When I was kegging, I would use whirlfloc at the end of the boil and gelatin when racking to the keg. This gave great results. Now that I am back to bottling, I just use whirlfloc. My clarity is actually pretty good but always looking to improve...

Any input or advice?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Re: using gelatin when bottling
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 01:02:31 pm »
I think that, in theory, the fear is that the gelatin would pull the suspended yeast out of suspension, thus giving you flat beer. But I don't think that gelatin pulls out 100% of yeast - and it is only really effective at cold temperatures anyway. I know British brewers add priming sugar and isinglass at the same time to carbonate and clear their kegs - I suspect the same would work fine with gelatin. That said, I have never tried it. I would sooner use gelatin in the fermenter (along with a cold crash) and then bottle.