Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation Temperatures  (Read 3267 times)

Offline Der Wütend Bierbrauer

• 1st Kit
Fermentation Temperatures
« on: November 17, 2012, 04:57:01 pm »
Hello everybody, I'm a new homebrewer.  I have a quick question that I hope somebody will help me with.

I brewed a batch of beer on Nov. 4th, and it still hasn't bubbled and foamed up out of the top of the carboy.  I just realized today that the brew is supposed to ferment around 68 degrees, and the average temperature where it's been fermenting is around 50 degrees or so.  Is this batch ruined?  If I move it to a warmer temperature will it still foam up, or is it too late?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline greatplainsbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Fermentation Temperatures
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 05:01:49 pm »
Go ahead and warm it up and rouse the yeast.  Not sure what ale yeast you pitched but I would imagine that 50 degrees caused it to floc out.  I wouldn't be optimistic-except maybe about your sanitation but at this point what are you out?

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 05:08:46 pm »
Thank you!  I pitched British Ale Yeast.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 05:51:04 pm »
Yeah, 50 degrees is probably going to be too cold for that yeast. Lager yeast do well at that temp though, but even so you need a lot of yeast - perhaps 4-6 vials/packs or a couple packs of dry lager yeast.

I recommend warming the beer up to the mid to low 60s, but don't let it get too warm. Fermentation temps much over 70 degrees can generate some unwanted flavors. And remember that fermentation is exothermic so your fermentation temp could be 6-8 degrees over ambient.

As long as your sanitation was good the beer should be fine, especially at 50 degrees.

Also, you may way to pitch more yeast, especially if you used liquid yeast and only pitched one pack/vial. If you are new to brewing I would recommend starting out with dry yeast until you get the hang of making yeast starters or pitch multiple packs/vials.

Good luck on your beer!

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 06:41:59 pm »
Right on, thanks for the help!  If I were to pitch more yeast, how many more vials?  I've only put one vial in.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 07:00:36 pm »
I would say none until you try warming it up and swirling it around a bit.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 07:34:48 pm »
I would say none until you try warming it up and swirling it around a bit.

+1

What was the OG?
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 07:52:32 pm »
I'd go ahead and pitch a vial now. Most likely you underpitched by only pitching one vial anyway, unless the OG was very low (under 1.045) and the yeast was extremely fresh.

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 02:23:57 pm »
Well when I brewed this batch of beer I relied on a friend of mine to teach me, who said he knew what he was doing, but he didn't.  Haha.  The OG wasn't measured, by the time we pitched the yeast the wort had cooled down below the temperature at which the yeast was supposed to be pitched.  The wort was even burned on the bottom.  (not my doing) Right now I'm back on the Oregon Coast and there isn't a good homebrew supply store, so all I have available to purchase for more yeast is Ale Yeast, not British Ale Yeast.  I think it's safe to say that this batch is f**ked.  Oh well, I tried.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 02:42:20 pm »
Hardly fooked. Let it warm to the upper 60's and give it a good stir like it was suggested before.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 04:01:05 pm »
I would follow the advice that has been given here.

Your handle was a new German word for me. After finding what it translates to, all I can say is -RDWHAHB! That is the brewing outlook you need.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 11:40:50 pm »
I would follow the advice that has been given here.

Your handle was a new German word for me. After finding what it translates to, all I can say is -RDWHAHB! That is the brewing outlook you need.

Hahaha, RDWHAHB is a great philosophy, I just thought "Der Wütend Bierbrauer" would be a good screen name here because I find it funny.  Alright well I'll give it a stir and see what happens!  Thanks guys.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 06:27:34 am »
The mad brewer? Crazy Brewer? Or angry brewer?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis