General Category > Extract/Partial Mash Brewing

Final Gravity is way off from what the book is saying

<< < (2/4) > >>

kramerog:

--- Quote from: Joe Sr. on November 15, 2012, 08:17:43 AM ---You could also try pitching a large active starter to get it going again.

You might want to pull a small sample and dump a whole packet of dry yeast into it to see how far it will ferment out.  This will tell you what should be achievable with the balance of the beer.

--- End quote ---

Rehydrate dry yeast in warm water and add to 3/4-gal of the aerated beer.  Pitch in your beer after that.   If you got the phenolicy character you want already, I would try Nottingham which tends to rip through big beers.  If not, try T-58 although I'm not so sure of its prowess in big beers. 

What type of malt syrup did you use?  Irek's which may no longer be sold anyway had lot's of non-fermentables and was designed to be used with lots of sugar.

a10t2:
Have you calibrated your hydrometer?

Mark G:

--- Quote from: a10t2 on November 15, 2012, 09:31:40 AM ---Have you calibrated your hydrometer?

--- End quote ---
Or are you using a refractometer?

Slowbrew:

--- Quote from: Mark G on November 15, 2012, 09:54:14 AM ---
--- Quote from: a10t2 on November 15, 2012, 09:31:40 AM ---Have you calibrated your hydrometer?

--- End quote ---
Or are you using a refractometer?

--- End quote ---

Good question! 

Roughing out the numbers he gave (converting back to brix and then running through the spreadsheet) would convert to around 1.023 if he is using a refractometer. 

Paul

bazowie:
I got stuck at 1.035 from 1.095, i rehydrated dry as already mentioned and repitched this got me down to 1.016. It freaked me out at first but i didnt want to loose the beer so i gave it a go and it worked. I just tapped the last keg after 13 months and it turned out to be one of the better stouts ive made.
Good luck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version