General Category > Ingredients

Apricot Flavored Syrup

<< < (3/3)

euge:
Do. It. Anyway.

WTF do you have to lose?

RDWHAHB.

tschmidlin:
I would not put jam in my beer.  But feel free :)

I'd mix some into a glass of beer first to see if I like it.  It won't be as sweet after fermenting, but it should give you an idea.

drusty:
I did a batch with Vintners Apricot Puree, a single 49 oz. can for a 5 gallon batch added to secondary.  The beer is great but just not what I'm trying reproduce.  The apricot flavor is much more subtle and not as pronounced as what I'm looking for.  I've been looking for frozen apricots in the store with no luck, I may try to use canned apricots and see how that works out.  I may have to hijack a delivery truck to Otto's to get a supply of what ever they are using.

hoser:
I'd use this stuff from Olive Nation, it's of much better quality than the stuff you get from your LHBS and doesn't taste nearly as artificial:

http://www.olivenation.com/Pure-Apricot-Extract-P552C55.aspx

Titrate up from a small sample to your gallon size based on taste.  Maybe even dial it back 10% just to be on the safe side.  You can always add more, but you can't subtract.

The other option is to add your fresh/frozen fruit to either the boil kettle or the secondary (2lbs/gallon of beer).  I wouldn't be concerned about pectic haze if you are making a wheat beer. Then adjust with the extract afterwards to get the beer the flavor and aroma profile you are looking for.

Jimmy K:

--- Quote from: drusty on January 28, 2013, 10:13:22 AM ---I did a batch with Vintners Apricot Puree, a single 49 oz. can for a 5 gallon batch added to secondary.  The beer is great but just not what I'm trying reproduce.  The apricot flavor is much more subtle and not as pronounced as what I'm looking for.  I've been looking for frozen apricots in the store with no luck, I may try to use canned apricots and see how that works out.  I may have to hijack a delivery truck to Otto's to get a supply of what ever they are using.

--- End quote ---
Does the puree taste good? It's probably a matter of quantity - 49 oz is 3 lbs. That is not much fruit for a 5gallon batch. I would try with two or three cans to get noticable apricot flavor.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version