Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New York  (Read 4578 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
New York
« on: November 26, 2012, 07:35:57 pm »
A friends going to NY city and wanted some suggestions on beer to have while there.
Thanks.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: New York
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 08:15:23 pm »
It is a big city, and it has been a few years, but my limited experience follows.

On Manhattan go to the Blind Tiger Ale house, or dba, the Gingerman, or Rattle and Hum and the Pony Bar(have not been to the last 2). If you want good beer paired with excellent food the bar side of Gramercy Tavern is a favorite.

There are more breweries in Brooklyn due to zoning and lower rent. Brooklyn Brewing if you have not been, limited hours so check. Spuyten Duyvil is a good beer bar, as is Barcade. Mugs Ale house is near Brooklyn Brewing and has East Coast beers.

All of these will have some Brooklyn, Sixpoint, and Captain Lawrence beers.

There are some German biergartens in Manhattan and the Astoria part of Queens. Even a Czech beer garden, but I have not been.

If you want a touristy place with its own pedestrian beer, McSorleys Old Ale house is a hoot. It has said to be unchanged from the time of Lincoln, and that includes the accumulation of dust.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 05:57:26 am »
Go to McSorley's just to have a pint among the frat-types, and then go a few doors east to Burp Castle.

Here's a tap list example: Boon Kriek, SouthernTier Creme Brûlée, Piraat, Saison Dupont, Allagash Curieux, Old Golden Hen, Corsendonk Tripel, Blackthorn, Duchesse de Bourgogne, Wells Banana Bread, Mikkeller Centenial IPA, Radeberger Pilsner. I wonder how much they want for a pint of Duchesse. I can get it for 2 eur here...

After Burp Castle, go to Standings for a good selection of craft pints, but an even better atmosphere for watching a game. Then go further east to the corner and slightly north to Pommes Frites, or a bit further north to Paul's burger joint. Then go back south, east again to Velvet lounge and smoke yerself some cigars.

That was my friday night ritual for a few years, not always the same order of course. Never fails. Also you can go a bit south to the Houston Whole Foods, they have a pretty great beer shop and at least 4 growler taps.

Also great is Blind Tiger, and from there you can walk a "few" blocks over to Spotted Pig, which has an excellent (Sixpoint-made I think?) bitter on hand pump.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 05:58:02 am »
Also I am mega jealous. Sigh.
----

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 07:34:11 am »
Forgot about the Blind Pig. When I was there the cask bitter was from Brooklyn, but that was a while back.

The White Horse Tavern is close to all those. It has some history, beer is OK.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Horse_Tavern_(New_York_City)

Forgot DBGB on the Bowery just down from where the legendary CBGB was. Gastropub with some good taps. $$$ but good.
http://www.danielnyc.com/dbgb.html#dbgb_menu

The Whole Foods on Houston does have a very good selection.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline kadnod

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 07:52:08 am »
Here's another vote for Blind Tiger.  Great place, though it can get really crowded.

If your friend goes to Times Square to do touristy stuff and wants to stop somewhere for a drink, Little Town on nearby Restaurant Row is a good place to find local beers. House of Brews and Beer Authority are also in the area.  Both have great beer selections, but can be a bit on the pricey side. 

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 08:01:21 am »
Does Times Square still have the Heartland brewery? Those are the most easily-accessible 'microbreweries,' you can find one near all the major touristy areas, South Street seaport, Times Square, Union Square... At least you used to.

It's a fun environment.
----

Offline kadnod

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 08:11:16 am »
Does Times Square still have the Heartland brewery? Those are the most easily-accessible 'microbreweries,' you can find one near all the major touristy areas, South Street seaport, Times Square, Union Square... At least you used to.

It's a fun environment.

Yeah, all those Heartlands are still there, plus they've opened a few more.  I think there are 3 in and around Times Square now.  Good beer and they support homebrewers by having a contest at their Empire State Bldg. location every year.  Good suggestion!

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 08:12:52 am »
Phil, you beat me to Heartland Brewery if they are down with the more touristy stuff. There are a number of them. Good beer and food.

The Pony bar is good for staying on the cheaper side of places to go in Manhattan. A decent selection and everything they have on tap is $5, which I think is great.  It may not be a full pint for some things, but its still cheap.   
Mark

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 09:19:18 am »
Great, thanks guys.  Keep em coming.  My friend is staying in Times Square (or right near that area) so I'm sure he'll get to at least a couple of these.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 09:43:12 am »
vole et nuit on west 4th (148) last time I was there was still a great belgian beer bar with fries, mussles, and homemade dipping sauces.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 10:40:11 am »
Blind Tiger is also my favorite in Manhattan and I think I've been to almost all the above mentioned bars.  Val Halla on 9th Avenue near 56th has great beer, too, but it can get very noisy.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995