Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: West Coast Ale dry yeast  (Read 11493 times)

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
West Coast Ale dry yeast
« on: November 16, 2012, 06:41:09 am »
I picked up a few of these when I made my hop order.  Who's used it? 

http://www.danstaryeast.com/products/bry-97-american-west-coast-yeast
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
Re: West Coast Ale dry yeast
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 08:54:38 am »
Hmmmm.... Never seen it before?  US-05 has always been my go to West Coast Ale Dry Yeast. I'm curious to see how it pans out. Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 09:45:39 am »
I think it's great Danstar is expanding their line-up, if only to put pressure on Fermentis to introduce new strains. Danstar has a new saison yeast too I'm interested in. I've had poor luck with Windsor in the past (really low attenuation), so I usually only use Fermentis.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 10:05:57 am »
I would be very interested to hear from those who have used this yeast. I use US05 for pretty much everything and love it. The only downside for me is lower than desired flocculaion since I bottle. The Danstar shows medium-high flocculation which would be a good thing. I would also be interested about attenutation. I get right around 78% with US05 normally which is just about perfect for most of the beers I brew.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 10:15:49 am »
I too use US-05 for most of my ales, so interested to hear some feedback on BRy-97.  I just may try it with my next brew this weekend.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 12:16:22 pm »
I just bought some last week and plan to use it today or tomorrow. It's called BRY-97 "American West Coast Ale Yeast".

I suppose it'll be similar to wlp001? Maybe Pacman? Fingers crossed...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 12:20:00 pm »
I saw BRY-97 when I failed to get any amarillo the other day.  Started digging around the net and found the following thread which has a few brewer's opinions who have used it:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/anyone-try-bry-97-yet-333553/

I'll give it a try sometime, but I don't have my hopes up - I didn't have much luck with Pacman, and this sounds about the same, so I might just stick with US-05 when using dry.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 12:48:53 pm »
I think it's great Danstar is expanding their line-up, if only to put pressure on Fermentis to introduce new strains. Danstar has a new saison yeast too I'm interested in. I've had poor luck with Windsor in the past (really low attenuation), so I usually only use Fermentis.

Windsor is known for its low attenuation.  It does make a pretty good mild or bitter though.  The maltiness really comes through as you would want in an English style.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 01:03:15 pm »
Windsor is known for its low attenuation.  It does make a pretty good mild or bitter though.  The maltiness really comes through as you would want in an English style.

No, like 40% apparent attenuation. Is that typical?
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 01:04:53 pm »

No, like 40% apparent attenuation. Is that typical?

That is low!  I usually get 60 - 65%.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 01:35:51 pm »
So it is the "Chico" strain according to a post on HBT. Never brewed with that.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 07:09:09 pm »
I've used it in four batches so far. All fermented in the mid 60s. It's very clean at these temperatures. It does seem to mute hop expression just a touch, but a small recipe adjustment could take care of that. It ferments fast, but likes to hang out on top of the beer afterwards unless you cold crash. It definitely clears much faster than US05, especially if you apply cooling. I don't have my notes in front of me, but IIRC attenuation was close to 80%.
Mark Gres

Offline TrippleRippleBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 05:04:53 pm »
I bought two packets and used them in an IPA but unfortunately I cannot report results because I blew it somehow. I'm pretty sure I re-hydrated too warm and pitched into 58 degree wort and thermal shocked it. No signs of fermentation  - NOTHING - whatsoever for about 20 hours so I pitched a packet of S05 straight into the carboy and away it went within hours.

I was really looking forward to it too!

If my LHBS starts carrying it I'll try it again but otherwise I'm going to continue using S05 or WLP vials and starters.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 05:52:24 pm »
Twenty hours? Repitching is generally considered unnecessary even up to 72 hours IMO.

I'm willing to bet with a tremendous degree of certainty that you didn't need to pitch the 05.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 01:15:21 am »
Yeah, if the fermentation took off within hours of adding the US-05, it was probably the initial yeast getting going and not the new yeast.
Tom Schmidlin