Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: West Coast Ale dry yeast  (Read 11534 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
West Coast Ale dry yeast
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 05:41:57 am »
Danstar has a new saison yeast too I'm interested in.

I'm planning on brewing a couple test batches with that yeast soon. will announce my results.

Offline TrippleRippleBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
Re: West Coast Ale dry yeast
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 06:01:57 am »
Twenty hours? Repitching is generally considered unnecessary even up to 72 hours IMO.

I'm willing to bet with a tremendous degree of certainty that you didn't need to pitch the 05.

I'm just not accustomed to waiting this long to see some signs of krausen!
For the 6 plus years I've been brewing I've never had to wait more than a day to see the typical, lacy formation on the surface of the wort. Chalk this one up to inexperience I guess.

So we have a 1.060 measured OG with 33gm of dried yeast pitched total. 22gm re-hydrated and 11gm pitched dry.

Any thoughts on how it's going to taste, or suggestions on what I do with it as soon as primary ferment seems complete?

I hope it's drinkable but if not, I'll just take the lesson for what it's worth, feed it to the sewer system and try that yeast again another day.

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 08:12:42 am »
You had signs of active fermentation within roughly a day. I'm willing to bet it turns out just fine. RDWHAHB
Mark Gres

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 08:39:10 am »
You had signs of active fermentation within roughly a day. I'm willing to bet it turns out just fine. RDWHAHB
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it.  I get nervous when I see NOTHING in 24 hours too, though.
Jesse

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 09:18:44 am »
Danstar has a new saison yeast too I'm interested in.

I'm planning on brewing a couple test batches with that yeast soon. will announce my results.

Looking forward to those results!
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2012, 05:31:26 am »
I used it in a pale ale, that I brewed last weekend.
It's fermenting in the low 60°'s.
I'll let you all know how it turns out.
Dan S. from NJ

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 09:59:09 am »
I took a gravity sample of my IPA yesterday with 2012 Cascade and Chinook. Beersmith told me I hopped it to about 54 IBUs.  The reason I call it IPA is because the OG was supposed to be 1.055, but I ended up with 1.061...so it's borderline.  The gravity came down to 1.010! Crazy.  So the abv is 6.66%.  The number of the beast!!
Anyway, the hops didn't taste way out front, but I could definitely tell I'd used Chinook.  The grain bill was 2-row and about 10% Special B, so it tasted similar to Arrogant Bastard, which is sort of what I was wanting.
I think I'd use this yeast again.
Jesse

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 10:11:06 am »
I took a gravity sample of my IPA yesterday with 2012 Cascade and Chinook. Beersmith told me I hopped it to about 54 IBUs.  The reason I call it IPA is because the OG was supposed to be 1.055, but I ended up with 1.061...so it's borderline.  The gravity came down to 1.010! Crazy.  So the abv is 6.66%.  The number of the beast!!
Anyway, the hops didn't taste way out front, but I could definitely tell I'd used Chinook.  The grain bill was 2-row and about 10% Special B, so it tasted similar to Arrogant Bastard, which is sort of what I was wanting.
I think I'd use this yeast again.

Any sourness? I've had some off flavors from Nottingham, so I tend to stay away from Danstar yeast.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 11:54:15 am »
Not that I noticed in the sample, but I guess I'll find out when I keg it this weekend, or a few days after I keg it, rather.
Jesse

Offline TrippleRippleBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 04:48:57 pm »
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it.  I get nervous when I see NOTHING in 24 hours too, though.

And indeed it is fine. Kegged last night after a taste test.
Can't say to the OP this yeast is great since I mixed it with SO5 but my beer tastes fine to me. I didn't taste anything unpleasant and I plan to order more soon.

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 06:23:57 pm »
I too did not have any really noticeable signs well after 48 hours of pitching, so I got nervous too and pitched some Nottingham on top of it.  Finally got very significant signs, nothing says fermentation like krausen!

Note:   I didn't rehydrate the originally pitched BRY-97.  I've picked up some of Denny's habits I guess!  I've always had activity in 24 hours or less using this method.  That's why I pitched extra yeast after 48.   I have one pack left, I'm gonna make sure I rehydrate it, when I use it.  Hopefully it's still viable.  I had the same issue with Notty a couple years ago.  This only reconfirms, US-05 is my go to yeast.  No issues ever with it.  Either that or 1056.
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 06:59:21 pm »
*Sigh*

Hydrated this yeast in 95F tap water this Sunday and it took off within 24 hours. Big fluffy krausen bobbing as I type. I also split this eleven gallons with S-05. Same treatment same performance.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2012, 07:09:25 am »
*Sigh*

Hydrated this yeast in 95F tap water this Sunday and it took off within 24 hours. Big fluffy krausen bobbing as I type. I also split this eleven gallons with S-05. Same treatment same performance.
Why the sigh? Seems like a good thing. I rehyrdrated mine and it took between 24 and 48 hours to form krausen at 66F.  But it finished out pretty low, down to 1.010 from 1.061. So, that's good I guess. I may stick with US-05, but this yeast hasn't made a bad impression just yet.
Jesse

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2012, 10:14:42 am »
Checked the gravity on mine today.
Went from 1.040 to 1.005. 87% attenuation !
I did mash low at 149°f.
Beer tatses OK.
Dan S. from NJ

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2012, 01:24:42 pm »
I like mine, it might actually be one of the top 5 beers I've brewed. The yeast, to me, seems more or less like US-05. I'd brew with it again. But since US-05 is a bit cheaper, I'd prolly just stick with that.
Jesse