General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

West Coast Ale dry yeast

<< < (6/7) > >>

liquidbrewing:
I too did not have any really noticeable signs well after 48 hours of pitching, so I got nervous too and pitched some Nottingham on top of it.  Finally got very significant signs, nothing says fermentation like krausen!

Note:   I didn't rehydrate the originally pitched BRY-97.  I've picked up some of Denny's habits I guess!  I've always had activity in 24 hours or less using this method.  That's why I pitched extra yeast after 48.   I have one pack left, I'm gonna make sure I rehydrate it, when I use it.  Hopefully it's still viable.  I had the same issue with Notty a couple years ago.  This only reconfirms, US-05 is my go to yeast.  No issues ever with it.  Either that or 1056.

euge:
*Sigh*

Hydrated this yeast in 95F tap water this Sunday and it took off within 24 hours. Big fluffy krausen bobbing as I type. I also split this eleven gallons with S-05. Same treatment same performance.

beersk:

--- Quote from: euge on December 06, 2012, 06:59:21 PM ---*Sigh*

Hydrated this yeast in 95F tap water this Sunday and it took off within 24 hours. Big fluffy krausen bobbing as I type. I also split this eleven gallons with S-05. Same treatment same performance.

--- End quote ---
Why the sigh? Seems like a good thing. I rehyrdrated mine and it took between 24 and 48 hours to form krausen at 66F.  But it finished out pretty low, down to 1.010 from 1.061. So, that's good I guess. I may stick with US-05, but this yeast hasn't made a bad impression just yet.

dzlater:
Checked the gravity on mine today.
Went from 1.040 to 1.005. 87% attenuation !
I did mash low at 149°f.
Beer tatses OK.

beersk:
I like mine, it might actually be one of the top 5 beers I've brewed. The yeast, to me, seems more or less like US-05. I'd brew with it again. But since US-05 is a bit cheaper, I'd prolly just stick with that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version