Author Topic: West Coast Ale dry yeast  (Read 5645 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
West Coast Ale dry yeast
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 05:41:57 AM »
Danstar has a new saison yeast too I'm interested in.

I'm planning on brewing a couple test batches with that yeast soon. will announce my results.
Keith Y.
Self appointed "All Grain" section pruner

Offline TrippleRippleBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
Re: West Coast Ale dry yeast
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 06:01:57 AM »
Twenty hours? Repitching is generally considered unnecessary even up to 72 hours IMO.

I'm willing to bet with a tremendous degree of certainty that you didn't need to pitch the 05.

I'm just not accustomed to waiting this long to see some signs of krausen!
For the 6 plus years I've been brewing I've never had to wait more than a day to see the typical, lacy formation on the surface of the wort. Chalk this one up to inexperience I guess.

So we have a 1.060 measured OG with 33gm of dried yeast pitched total. 22gm re-hydrated and 11gm pitched dry.

Any thoughts on how it's going to taste, or suggestions on what I do with it as soon as primary ferment seems complete?

I hope it's drinkable but if not, I'll just take the lesson for what it's worth, feed it to the sewer system and try that yeast again another day.

Growing Centennial, Columbus and Chinook hops.
Brewing IPA, APA, Dead Guy clone, and American Wheat most of the time.
Located in Three Rivers MI

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 08:12:42 AM »
You had signs of active fermentation within roughly a day. I'm willing to bet it turns out just fine. RDWHAHB
Mark Gres

Offline beersk

• Senior Brewmaster
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 08:39:10 AM »
You had signs of active fermentation within roughly a day. I'm willing to bet it turns out just fine. RDWHAHB
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it.  I get nervous when I see NOTHING in 24 hours too, though.
Watch out for those Cross Dressing Amateurs!

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 09:18:44 AM »
Danstar has a new saison yeast too I'm interested in.

I'm planning on brewing a couple test batches with that yeast soon. will announce my results.

Looking forward to those results!
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline dzlater

• Brewer
  • New Jersey
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2012, 05:31:26 AM »
I used it in a pale ale, that I brewed last weekend.
It's fermenting in the low 60°'s.
I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Offline beersk

• Senior Brewmaster
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 09:59:09 AM »
I took a gravity sample of my IPA yesterday with 2012 Cascade and Chinook. Beersmith told me I hopped it to about 54 IBUs.  The reason I call it IPA is because the OG was supposed to be 1.055, but I ended up with 1.061...so it's borderline.  The gravity came down to 1.010! Crazy.  So the abv is 6.66%.  The number of the beast!!
Anyway, the hops didn't taste way out front, but I could definitely tell I'd used Chinook.  The grain bill was 2-row and about 10% Special B, so it tasted similar to Arrogant Bastard, which is sort of what I was wanting.
I think I'd use this yeast again.

Offline erockrph

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • Critical Tastings
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 10:11:06 AM »
I took a gravity sample of my IPA yesterday with 2012 Cascade and Chinook. Beersmith told me I hopped it to about 54 IBUs.  The reason I call it IPA is because the OG was supposed to be 1.055, but I ended up with 1.061...so it's borderline.  The gravity came down to 1.010! Crazy.  So the abv is 6.66%.  The number of the beast!!
Anyway, the hops didn't taste way out front, but I could definitely tell I'd used Chinook.  The grain bill was 2-row and about 10% Special B, so it tasted similar to Arrogant Bastard, which is sort of what I was wanting.
I think I'd use this yeast again.

Any sourness? I've had some off flavors from Nottingham, so I tend to stay away from Danstar yeast.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline beersk

• Senior Brewmaster
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 11:54:15 AM »
Not that I noticed in the sample, but I guess I'll find out when I keg it this weekend, or a few days after I keg it, rather.

Offline TrippleRippleBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 04:48:57 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it.  I get nervous when I see NOTHING in 24 hours too, though.

And indeed it is fine. Kegged last night after a taste test.
Can't say to the OP this yeast is great since I mixed it with SO5 but my beer tastes fine to me. I didn't taste anything unpleasant and I plan to order more soon.
Growing Centennial, Columbus and Chinook hops.
Brewing IPA, APA, Dead Guy clone, and American Wheat most of the time.
Located in Three Rivers MI

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 06:23:57 PM »
I too did not have any really noticeable signs well after 48 hours of pitching, so I got nervous too and pitched some Nottingham on top of it.  Finally got very significant signs, nothing says fermentation like krausen!

Note:   I didn't rehydrate the originally pitched BRY-97.  I've picked up some of Denny's habits I guess!  I've always had activity in 24 hours or less using this method.  That's why I pitched extra yeast after 48.   I have one pack left, I'm gonna make sure I rehydrate it, when I use it.  Hopefully it's still viable.  I had the same issue with Notty a couple years ago.  This only reconfirms, US-05 is my go to yeast.  No issues ever with it.  Either that or 1056.
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 06:59:21 PM »
*Sigh*

Hydrated this yeast in 95F tap water this Sunday and it took off within 24 hours. Big fluffy krausen bobbing as I type. I also split this eleven gallons with S-05. Same treatment same performance.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline beersk

• Senior Brewmaster
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2012, 07:09:25 AM »
*Sigh*

Hydrated this yeast in 95F tap water this Sunday and it took off within 24 hours. Big fluffy krausen bobbing as I type. I also split this eleven gallons with S-05. Same treatment same performance.
Why the sigh? Seems like a good thing. I rehyrdrated mine and it took between 24 and 48 hours to form krausen at 66F.  But it finished out pretty low, down to 1.010 from 1.061. So, that's good I guess. I may stick with US-05, but this yeast hasn't made a bad impression just yet.

Offline dzlater

• Brewer
  • New Jersey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2012, 10:14:42 AM »
Checked the gravity on mine today.
Went from 1.040 to 1.005. 87% attenuation !
I did mash low at 149°f.
Beer tatses OK.

Offline beersk

• Senior Brewmaster
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2012, 01:24:42 PM »
I like mine, it might actually be one of the top 5 beers I've brewed. The yeast, to me, seems more or less like US-05. I'd brew with it again. But since US-05 is a bit cheaper, I'd prolly just stick with that.