Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: peace out  (Read 10637 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: peace out
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 09:22:41 am »
Taking a quick gander there are lots of that type of discussions going on. You mostly are attracted to the negative threads that allow you to complain and whine. Answer me just one question: Why do you do that? What's the point??

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 09:25:50 am »
The Pub: " A place for discussion of not strictly beer related topics..."

I thought I was in the right place.

C'mon man, give it a rest.  The entire quote is...

The Pub: "A place for discussion of not strictly beer related topics. Please keep it civil and no discussion of race, religion, or politics."
Joe

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 09:27:43 am »
Taking a quick gander there are lots of that type of discussions going on. You mostly are attracted to the negative threads that allow you to complain and whine. Answer me just one question: Why do you do that? What's the point??

His is a troll. Please don't feed the trolls, it only encourages them  ;D

A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 09:31:16 am »
Thought maybe I would give him a chance to defend himself - there's an old saying: If everything you encounter is negative the source of that negativity must be yourself.

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 09:31:40 am »
good grief.  

I'm not quitting the hobby because of forum moderation.  I simply stopped enjoying it as much.  
This thread is exactly the type of situation that drains any enjoyment one can have from the hobby.  

moderators - if someone is disrupting the place ban them.  be done with it.  dont argue about it, dont delete everything, set the ground rules and enforce them.  Then sticky the damn thread at the top saying - this was out of line because xyz, further talk like this will get you the same.  locking thread for being political when I go look at the thread there is not a political hint in it is wrong.  Deleting threads and getting agreesive when asked about it is also wrong.  It does not encourage people to talk, and when they do everything on here is prefaced with a "hope this is ok to say", followed by a moderator either granting their approval and nudging it along or killing it.  

this place reminds me of nothing more than that crazy mom at the grocery store who constantly yells at the misbehaving children to act right or else.  

I am not quitting brewing because of the forum, but my experience in the forums over the past 6 months did contribute to my loss of interest in the hobby.  

good luck guys, thanks for the well wishes.  

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 09:34:36 am »
What are you going to do with all the money you would have spent on equipment, ingredients, etc...buy a couple extra houses :)

Good luck in your future endeavours.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 09:36:03 am »

moderators - if someone is disrupting the place ban them.  be done with it.  

Shouldn't be a need to ban anyone. If people don't like it here they should do like you are proposing and just leave. There is no dishonor in that. No need to ban someone who doesn't like the atmosphere. But in return there is no reason for someone who dislikes the atmosphere to keep coming back. Do you go back to the same restaurant over and over again if you think the food sucks? Of course not! So why keep coming back to the AHA forum if you don't like it here. It's quite a conundrum.  ???

Offline homebrewgamecock

• Cellarman
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 09:44:12 am »
Have fun Loopy.  While I love brewing, there are some times when I can't be bothered with it or the forums.  I actually don't spend too much time on the forums.  Sure, plenty of good people, info and fun topics, but I can become burnt out on everything beer.

As for banning people, I agree there should not be a need.  For whatever reason, some people like nothing more than to stir it up, point fingers, b****, moan and complain about the rules and other posters, yet they keep coming back.  Honestly, I left the TastyBrew forum for that reason.  It was not one person, but one person did seem to push the most buttons.  Just got tired of  the back and forth bickering so I left.  Have not been back since.  Does not mean that TB is a bad forum, I just chose to move away from the negative bickering.  I hope this site does not become that as well.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 09:47:14 am »
Yeah - I have a feeling I know who that person is.

Look, Brewboy - can you at least not answer my question? Why do you come here if you don't like it here? I only ask just this one thing. One answer and then I will drop it.

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 10:21:47 am »

Some of you people are so sensitive. This isn't a war, there is no "winning" by the "PC crowd". This forum is not the place to air your political opinions. Grow up and quit being so melodramatic.

I don't think you get it.  Because people Aren't Allowed to speak Anywhere, and that includes forums such as this... IT in and of itself is taking away certain freedoms.  I don't condone bashing anyone... but the IDEA of "controlling People" I do take offense to.  If someone screws up... ban them for awhile.

EDITED FOR POLITICAL CONTENT - KNOCK IT OFF DEAN!

Don't call me or anyone willing to say The Truth, sensitive... look in the mirror next time you say it.  I only see you make posts about subjects considered PC.   ::)

Peace Out...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 10:37:05 am by majorvices »

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 10:41:19 am »

I don't think you get it.  Because people Aren't Allowed to speak Anywhere, and that includes forums such as this... IT in and of itself is taking away certain freedoms.  I don't condone bashing anyone... but the IDEA of "controlling People" I do take offense to.  If someone screws up... ban them for awhile.

There are plenty of forums where you can air your personal, political, religious, whatever views. There is no widespread oppression.

Don't call me or anyone willing to say The Truth, sensitive... look in the mirror next time you say it.  I only see you make posts about subjects considered PC.   ::)

I guess I really don't consider making posts on some forum to be that subversive. I feel sorry for you if you think stirring the pot in a fricken beer forum is going to bring about significant change to "the system" or whatever social injustice you feel is being forced upon you  ::)

« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 10:44:46 am by glitterbug »
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2010, 10:43:21 am »
Gentlemen, I'd like to respectfully ask you to cool it.  I don't want to lock this thread.  It's a much better solution for users to control themselves.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2010, 10:45:08 am »
I'm with major and glitter and others.  When denny announced this place opening up, he did warn that if anything, the moderation would be stricter than at the "old" forum.  Makes for a nice place.  You take offense to that?  No worries mate, no one pulled a gun on you and insisted you participate.  If you feel the Interwebs are lacking in forums catering to homebrewers that are unmoderated, it's not very hard or expensive to start one up, and then you can post whatever your heart desires, pending the laws of your state/country and the service agreement with your hosting provider.  If, in fact, the imagined silent majority resents what you consider to be oppressive, freedom-raping moderation, they will of course follow you to the idyllic, free-speech utopia you have created and everyone will be happy.  Otherwise, if you're not happy with the balance the moderators have struck, complaining about it will neither change the situation nor make you any more content.

I tip my hat to the moderators for the general atmosphere of the place.  I remember the NB forum in the days before politics was banned there and the place became much friendlier and more hospitable post-ban.  Cheers!

And loopy, I know the feeling of fading out of forums.  Another forum I visited frequently over the years, I slowly drifted out of...the hobby was something I do once a year now it seems, and it failed to grip.  It was a bit sad though in retrospect...I knew some of those guys like close friends.  Good luck, vaya con dios and all that.  Stop by from time to time to show us what your cooking at least, if not brewing!

EDIT:  just saw Denny's note...this was not meant to heighten any tension, I hope it does not read that way!  I really mean it as a best wishes, all around...even to those discontent with the rules.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 10:47:57 am by nicneufeld »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2010, 10:47:22 am »
Thanks, Nic.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2010, 10:48:59 am »
Best of luck to you loopy. Sorry to see you go.

Ron Price