Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Any hunters here?  (Read 8940 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Any hunters here?
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2012, 01:07:12 pm »
Yep. At least the ones that weren't full of Skoal drippins. Blech.

So you didn't hike them all out... shame on you!

Oh no, they all came home. The spit bottles went in the recycling and the rest went in Oxy Clean :)

Oh, good. Yer off the hook then. ;)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Any hunters here?
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2012, 02:33:49 pm »
Deer season is one thing I don't really miss about not living on a farm anymore.  In NW Iowa we had hunters who thought any shot from their truck was good enough.  Our place was in the center of a section (a piece of land 1mile x 1mile for those who aren't sure) and every Fall was like being one of those wooden ducks in a penny arcade.  You'd go out to do chores at dusk and some idiot would "see movement" in our grove and take a shot from half a mile away.  We were always thankful that none those dumba**es would ever qualify as a sniper.

Of course these are the same guys who would spend 1/2 an hour looking for body of a pheasant head we set up on the snowbank in the ditch.   ;D

Sticking pheasant heads on snow banks is still great fun for the kids up there.  Sunday mornings were the best because you got to eat the bird you flushed on Saturday and watch some fool get yelled at by his wife about being late for church while he looks for a bird that was never there in his Sunday best.

If you hunt and follow the rules, I'll back you up all the way. Be prepared for tricks if you "hunt" from the cab of your truck.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2012, 11:43:03 pm »
Hunting season for me means remembering to put orange on me and the dog when we go running.

I feel a little bad for the guys that are waiting behind a tree for that elusive buck to show up when I come running buy with an unleashed dog.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2012, 10:59:08 pm »
Does Rock hunting count ???
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2012, 06:31:52 am »
Deer, turkey, rabbit, squirrel, and quail hunting in SC has given way to coyote hunting. The bastards are everywhere and are eating everything.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2012, 07:46:45 am »
Heh, I always look forward to Majorvices'  yearly rant on trashy hunters
mucking up his private wilderness. ;D

I like to sneak around with a smokepole in early fall, but am no longer any good at killing things.
Something about the potential, however, gives me a primal thrill.

I am thinking about wacking some Eurasian collared doves that have taken over here;
need to get a method that is quite and not wig my thunderfearing dog.

Deer, turkey, rabbit, squirrel, and quail hunting in SC has given way to coyote hunting. The bastards are everywhere and are eating everything.

Yep.  All the 'yotes are gone from my place recently...thanks to the hunters...because they are all out on the perimeter, snacking on gut piles and carcasses that now litter the interface between private and public lands.

I might try deer again in the future.  Jerky maybe.  I am starting to get grumpy when I have to slow down  in my driveway as they mosey across. ::)

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2012, 09:56:16 am »

wolf hunting becoming a big deal in montana also.
Don AHA member

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2012, 08:13:11 pm »
The big news around MI is not the coyotes which are in every county in the state, or the wild turkeys which are everywhere, but hogs. Hogs have gotten loose from hunting clubs, and are extremely destructive. They become wild boars in a few generations.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!