Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Parti-Gyle Belgian Dark Strong  (Read 5149 times)

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
Parti-Gyle Belgian Dark Strong
« on: November 20, 2012, 09:11:38 am »
So, I am considering brewing a Belgian Dark Strong this weekend.  Thinking of doing something a little different for simplicity sake.  Planing on doing a parti-gyle with 90% Pils, 10% 5-10% Munich.  Using only the first runnings for the BDS.  Using candi sugar for the color and to dial in my desired gravity; either a pound each of  D2 and dark for a little complexity, or just 2 pounds of D2.  Not sure I need or want any crystal-type malts for the first runnings?  Mash 147-148F, 90+ minute boil. R/O water with CaCl2.  I have big, fresh, healty pitch of Westmalle from a local brewery that is calling my name! :D  I have Denny's 400th batch slightly in mind for a base beer...

Anyone having any tips, suggestions, or pitfalls?  I have not done a parti-gyle before.  Plan on using Kai's calculator.

Also, I can't decide what beer to make with the second runnings...Belgian? Hybrid? Some bastardized American-style ale?  Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks!

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Parti-Gyle Belgian Dark Strong
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 09:30:48 am »
After the first runnings, put in a pound of 60-80L crystal and do an English Pale Ale.

Offline bwana

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 09:32:07 am »
Most BDS's Have some Special B in them. I am not sure you will get the color you desire with just candy sugar. As for your second runnings I would use the same yeast and have a Belgian Dark Single. Good luck!

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 09:34:47 am »
Most BDS's Have some Special B in them. I am not sure you will get the color you desire with just candy sugar. As for your second runnings I would use the same yeast and have a Belgian Dark Single. Good luck!

I am trying to avoid the "obligatory" Special B addition.  If I "do" add it, it will be small.  I need to go back and review BLAM..

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 10:11:28 am »
I think you'll get the color you want from 2lbs of dark candi syrup.  My last BDS was quite dark.  I would have actually like it a bit lighter and more ruby, but it was damn tasty and there is none left.

I also think a simple malt bill will let the flavors from the candi syrup come through nicely.

I've got a dubbel that should be ready to keg next weekend that is pretty much just pils, munich and d-90.  The color looks good.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 10:24:00 am »
If I were to do a second running beer with the same yeast, then I think I'd add some CaraMunich or CaraVienne for the 2nd runnings and do a Belgian Amber.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 10:37:40 am »
If I were to do a second running beer with the same yeast, then I think I'd add some CaraMunich or CaraVienne for the 2nd runnings and do a Belgian Amber.

I have a few other yeasts on hand, so I am not necessarily tied to any one particular style.  I would have to make a starter, obviously.  But, I think I have a hybrid yeast, English, American, lager, and Belgian yeast all in the fridge.  In all likelihood, it will probably be a Belgian-style ale ;)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 10:41:58 am »
Here's my recipe....no Special B, but I used 2 lb. of D180 syrup.

http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/0/3/5/6035776/dennys_400th_-_variation_001.pdf
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 05:27:47 pm »

http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/0/3/5/6035776/dennys_400th_-_variation_001.pdf

Thanks Denny!  What do you think the Caramunich provided?  Also, why the turbinado sugar in addition to the D-180?  Thanks for the link.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 05:29:21 pm »

Thanks Denny!  What do you think the Caramunich provided?  Also, why the turbinado sugar in addition to the D-180?  Thanks for the link.

The CaraMunich gives it body and richness.  The turbinado was partially to increase the sugar % and partially for flavor.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 11:45:43 am »
Just for simplicity sake and to try something new I went with 90% pils/10% Munich only.  150F mash. After a 105 minute boil, had a 1.090 OG golden ale.  Pitched the Westmalle yeast at 60F, slowly ramped up to 68F which is where it currently resides.  Added 1lb of D2 and some additional fresh yeast today.  Debating between another pound of D2 vs. the Dark Candi sugar, tomorrow?  Thoughts?

Second runnings were topped of with Pils, Vienna, Munich, Caramunich, and Carafa II for a Dusseldorf Alt.  Presently fermenting at 58F with WY1007.

Thanks for all the advice, especially Denny!  I let everyone know how it turns out.....next year! :P