Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Question re: Wiring March Pumps to Switches  (Read 8085 times)

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
Question re: Wiring March Pumps to Switches
« on: November 18, 2012, 07:42:16 pm »
I am trying to wire both of my pumps to separate switches that are both powered by one extension cord.  I am using a two-gang weatherproof box that houses a combination GFIC outlet and switch, like this one:

as well as a single pole switch, like this one:

The reason I am configuring it this way is so I can have an "always-hot" auxiliary outlet (i.e., it isn't controlled by a switch) as well as two switches for the pumps in one two-gang box.

Anyway, I wired up pump #1 to the GFIC combo box earlier today.  The switch worked great and there was power to the outlet.  Here is my wiring diagram:

Now, I am trying to figure out how to wire up pump #2 to the single pole switch AND have pump #2 protected by the GFIC outlet.  I think I know what I need to do, but I would greatly appreciate it if someone with greater knowledge of wiring/electricity can chime in.  What I think I need to do to protect pump #2 with the GFIC outlet is run a black jumper wire from the load side of the single pole switch to the load side of the GFIC outlet.  But I'm not exactly sure what I need to do with the white (neutral) wire from pump #2.  Do I jump this to the load side of the GFIC outlet too?  Here is my proposed wiring diagram for wiring pump #2.

Any suggestions from those of you who have wired up your pumps to switches, or have a better knowledge of electricity than me, would be greatly appreciated!  Wiring my pumps is pretty much the last thing that's left in setting up my single-tier stand.  Thanks!!!

Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Question re: Wiring March Pumps to Switches
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 08:00:02 pm »

You want to split the black (hot) wire on the load side of the GFIC outlet. Run each through a switch, then the pump. Connect the two white wires from the pumps and connect them to the GFIC. Don't connect either switch directly to the black supply or you'll bypass the GFIC protection (which is what you've done for switch 2).

Think of it as running the two pumps in parallel off of the GFIC outlet. Then insert a switch on each pump's hot wire.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 08:08:55 pm »
Thanks, Jimmy!  The back of the GFCI outlet has the screw-in connections and the "insert"-type connections.  Instead of splitting the black (hot) wire coming out of the load side, could I just run a black wire from the screw-in connection to one switch and a black wire from the insert-type connection to the other switch?
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 08:12:24 pm »
Yeah, that should be exactly the same as splitting the wire.

Edit: I should say - As long as tripping the GFIC cuts off power to the connections you're using. I imagine it would, but I'd double check.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 08:17:11 pm by mtnrockhopper »
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 08:15:31 pm »
Cool...dude, you rock!

One more question, if you don't mind.  Here is the drawing in the manual for the GFCI outlet:

Are the "switch leads" coming out of the back each hot?  I'm thinking there are two just in case you want to wire more than one load source to the switch and don't feel like using a wire nut/pig tail?  If both leads are hot, then I can just wire nut the one I'm not using, right?
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 08:55:06 pm »
I'm not certain, but I think the switch is separate from the rest of the outlet and those wires are the connections to it. So on your diagram, if that is switch 1, those are the two black wires (they are both black right?). If I'm right and you want to use that as one of your switches, you'd connect one of the switch wires to the hot load GFCI output and connect the other to the pump.
AHA Member since 2006

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
Question re: Wiring March Pumps to Switches
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 05:39:32 am »
I'm not certain, but I think the switch is separate from the rest of the outlet and those wires are the connections to it. So on your diagram, if that is switch 1, those are the two black wires (they are both black right?). If I'm right and you want to use that as one of your switches, you'd connect one of the switch wires to the hot load GFCI output and connect the other to the pump.

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks again!
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 08:13:37 pm »
I'm not trying to change your mind, as you are obviously knee deep in your set-up already, but I write this for the others that may be reading this thread.

For $9.99 I bought an outdoor remote switched outlet.  I just plugged the pump into the unit, then use the remote to turn the pump on and off.  They make them for outdoor Christmas lights, so this is a great time to buy them as there are a lot of sales.  I love mine.

Steve
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 08:25:44 pm »
I'm not trying to change your mind, as you are obviously knee deep in your set-up already, but I write this for the others that may be reading this thread.

For $9.99 I bought an outdoor remote switched outlet.  I just plugged the pump into the unit, then use the remote to turn the pump on and off.  They make them for outdoor Christmas lights, so this is a great time to buy them as there are a lot of sales.  I love mine.

Steve

I have seen those and they look like they are a really slick option.
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial