General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

How hot for 3711

(1/3) > >>

thomasben:
Used this yeast a couple times at 67-72 ish. Its french  saison 3711 btw.
was curious as to how many people have gotten to the upper 70's with this and what flavors were produced?

majorvices:
It does better at cooler temps. I start it oiff around 66 and don't ramp it much higher than 72-74 near the end. Gives you a nice peppery, dry and spicy saison.

thebigbaker:

--- Quote from: majorvices on November 19, 2012, 06:03:18 AM ---It does better at cooler temps. I start it oiff around 66 and don't ramp it much higher than 72-74 near the end. Gives you a nice peppery, dry and spicy saison.

--- End quote ---

+1  I start about 64-65 and let it go to about 74-75.

nateo:
Short answer: Keith is right that it does better at colder temps. I'd say "typical" ales temps are ideal for this yeast when making a "typical" strength saison. If you bump up the gravity, I'd drop the temp.

My homebrew club did a saison-themed meeting last summer. Probably 6 or 7 people brewed saisons with 3711. I did an "imperial" Saison that was pushing 12% ABV, most other people were more in the 5-7% range. I fermented mine at 56*F, everyone else was in the upper 70s-mid 80s, with one person up in the 90s. A few of them had more fusels than mine, and a few were more "angular" and rough than mine, but they were all obviously the same strain and had the same palette of flavors.

gmac:
Not gonna be much help but I love WY3711 at 68-70.  I've never ramped it up higher cause I've never felt the need to.  Makes awesome beer without the hassle of temp control etc. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version