Author Topic: Mould - should I dump?  (Read 1519 times)

Offline gmac

  • Brewmaster General
  • *******
  • Posts: 2098
  • London, Ontario
    • View Profile
Mould - should I dump?
« on: November 19, 2012, 08:59:25 AM »
I've got a sour beer that's been in a carboy for about 5 months now.  I thought it was forming a pellicle a while ago but now I think it's just getting mouldy.  I looked at it yesterday and I think it has a penicillium infection of some sort.  The mould is sort of blue/green and looks very similar to bread mould.  It's forming bubble which look quite dry and powdery on top.  I tried to get a picture but through the carboy all I got was reflections.

So, do I dump this or just leave and let it keep chugging away?  I've been asking questions about this one for a while now, first attempt so I'm not sure what to do.  I really haven't opened this much so I think the mould, if that's what it is, has taken a long time to get going.  Obviously I don't want to be drinking mycotoxins but if it's harmless and won't hurt anything, I'll just leave it alone.
Thanks

Offline morticaixavier

  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • *
  • Posts: 6049
  • Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Mould - should I dump?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 09:10:04 AM »
It's PROBABLY harmless. I've gotten spots of mould before and was carefull when racking to avoid the spots. but I am not a microbiologist, M.D. or anything of the sort so BIG grain of salt
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time" - A. Einstein

Jonathan I Fuller

Offline tschmidlin

  • I must live here
  • **********
  • Posts: 8195
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
Re: Mould - should I dump?
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 10:10:35 AM »
What was the ABV and IBU of the beer?  Are you keeping air out well enough?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gmac

  • Brewmaster General
  • *******
  • Posts: 2098
  • London, Ontario
    • View Profile
Re: Mould - should I dump?
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 11:40:58 AM »
ABV was around 8.  IBU was low, probably around 20 - it was a saison.
As far as I can tell air is out.  Using a glass carboy and rubber stopper with rye in it.
I opened it once a couple months ago to add oak that was soaked in rye but that was a couple minutes max.  Otherwise it's been pretty much airtight.

Offline redbeerman

  • Senior Brewmaster
  • ******
  • Posts: 1739
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna
    • View Profile
Re: Mould - should I dump?
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 12:10:31 PM »
ABV was around 8.  IBU was low, probably around 20 - it was a saison.
As far as I can tell air is out.  Using a glass carboy and rubber stopper with rye in it.
I opened it once a couple months ago to add oak that was soaked in rye but that was a couple minutes max.  Otherwise it's been pretty much airtight.

You could rack the beer out from under the mold.  I have done that before with great results.  Don't know how big your mold cake is though.  I had just a small amount that attached itself to a lacto pellicle in a Berliner Wiesse.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline euge

  • I must live here
  • **********
  • Posts: 7396
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
Re: Mould - should I dump?
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 12:12:31 PM »
I've heard recommendations of carefully siphoning out the beer from underneath the layer. Gently scrape a hole with something then pass the line through. Leave a goodly portion so you don't accidentally pull any of the nastiness up.

I'm wondering if the oak brought it in despite being soaked in rye.

Ooops beat me to it...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline anje

  • Assistant Brewer
  • ***
  • Posts: 232
  • Lafayette, IN
    • View Profile
Re: Mould - should I dump?
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 12:16:49 PM »
I wouldn't serve it to anyone with a penicillin allergy, though.
<-- microbiologist brewster n00b.

Hops and toothpaste don't mix.

Offline mtnrockhopper

  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • *
  • Posts: 3113
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
Re: Mould - should I dump?
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 12:35:04 PM »
Using a glass carboy and rubber stopper with rye in it.
I opened it once a couple months ago to add oak that was soaked in rye but that was a couple minutes max. 

I'm probably being an idiot - but rye? I must be missing something because I'm picturing a stopper with stalks of rye sticking out of it. Probably not a good oxygen barrier.
Jimmy K

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup when the old president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP: B0958

Offline gmac

  • Brewmaster General
  • *******
  • Posts: 2098
  • London, Ontario
    • View Profile
Re: Mould - should I dump?
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 12:37:33 PM »
Using a glass carboy and rubber stopper with rye in it.
I opened it once a couple months ago to add oak that was soaked in rye but that was a couple minutes max. 

I'm probably being an idiot - but rye? I must be missing something because I'm picturing a stopper with stalks of rye sticking out of it. Probably not a good oxygen barrier.

OK...Canadian Whisky.  We all call it rye because it's rye whisky.  I know I've asked for a rye and coke in the US before and been looked at like I'm an idiot by the bartender.  That's also how I learned not to ask for whisky and coke cause I ended up with Jack Daniels (yuck).  Crown Royal, Canadian Club, Gibson's Finest.  All rye whiskies.
I use cheap rye in my fermentation lock so that if it gets drawn in, no big deal.

Offline redbeerman

  • Senior Brewmaster
  • ******
  • Posts: 1739
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna
    • View Profile
Re: Mould - should I dump?
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 12:38:12 PM »
Using a glass carboy and rubber stopper with rye in it.
I opened it once a couple months ago to add oak that was soaked in rye but that was a couple minutes max. 

I'm probably being an idiot - but rye? I must be missing something because I'm picturing a stopper with stalks of rye sticking out of it. Probably not a good oxygen barrier.

I think he means rye whiskey, Jimmy. ;)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline nateo

  • Brewmaster General
  • *******
  • Posts: 2196
  • Aachen, DE
    • View Profile
Re: Mould - should I dump?
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 01:38:05 PM »
Humans have a tremendous tolerance for mycotoxins. Along with being able to sweat a lot, that's one of our superpowers. Unlike its American cousin "mold," Canadian mould is known for being pleasant and inoffensive, if a bit bland.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline redbeerman

  • Senior Brewmaster
  • ******
  • Posts: 1739
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna
    • View Profile
Re: Mould - should I dump?
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 01:45:10 PM »
Humans have a tremendous tolerance for mycotoxins. Along with being able to sweat a lot, that's one of our superpowers. Unlike its American cousin "mold," Canadian mould is known for being pleasant and inoffensive, if a bit bland.

That's just wrong. :o
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline nateo

  • Brewmaster General
  • *******
  • Posts: 2196
  • Aachen, DE
    • View Profile
Re: Mould - should I dump?
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 03:24:34 PM »
That's just wrong. :o

Sorry, I couldn't resist the Canadian joke. But it's true that we can eat really nasty moldy stuff that would kill any other animal. It's also true that we can tolerate high heat for long periods that would kill any other land animal. If you're a hunter-gatherer in the Serengeti, those are really valuable traits to have.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline corkybstewart

  • Senior Brewmaster
  • ******
  • Posts: 1321
    • View Profile
Re: Mould - should I dump?
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 03:33:06 PM »
I brewed a Flanders red years ago and after sitting 6 months on 12 pounds of cherries it developed a gruesome green and white mold that came up the sides of the carboy to the airlock stopper.  I siphoned it into a clean carboy and let it sit a few more months, it never developed another pellicle or any mold.  I then racked it to a keg and enjoyed it for 3 years before it was finally gone.
I'd really just rather be brewing in sunny Carlsbad New Mexico

Offline tschmidlin

  • I must live here
  • **********
  • Posts: 8195
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
Re: Mould - should I dump?
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 03:35:50 PM »
I'm really surprised you have mold growing on top of an 8% ABV beer.  I'd rack it too.

By the way, your bartender was an idiot.  We have rye here too, although ours actually has to contain more than half rye, unlike yours.
Tom Schmidlin