Author Topic: Wyeast 3522 Ardennes temps  (Read 1937 times)

Offline yso191

• Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
Wyeast 3522 Ardennes temps
« on: November 19, 2012, 11:11:15 AM »
Wednesday I'm brewing my 3rd batch, a Belgian Imperial IPA.  The Belgian part is coming in primarily from the yeast (Wyeast 3522 Ardennes).

I can controll the beer fermentation temperature to within one degree.  They say the temperature range of this yeast is 65*-76*.  So here is what I'm planning:

-Pitch at 68, raise to 70 during lag phase.
-Primary fermentation at 70
-As primary is ending, bump up the temperature 2 degrees per day (one in AM, one in PM)
-hold at 76 until I keg 8-10 days later
-then I'll keep the keg in a closet in the house which maintains a stable 70* year-round for another week or so, then cold crash it to 34* until Christmas.

So I'm looking for your advice on this plan, but as important as your recommendations, I'd also appreciate the reasoning behind what you recommend.  Thanks!

Steve
Steve

Offline troybinso

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
Re: Wyeast 3522 Ardennes temps
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 11:35:41 AM »
Sounds like a pretty good plan to me. The one suggestion I would make is to cold crash the beer before you keg it. This will keep most of the yeast out of the keg.

Online morticaixavier

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 11:45:04 AM »
seems complicated to me. I like to pitch ~65, set the temp to 70 and let it rise to that. after a week or so bump the temp to 76 and let it ride till done. crash, keg, go.

my reasoning is that I can't think of a reason to bother with 2 temp changes every day.

I suppose if you are applying direct heat to raise the temp the beer right next to the brew belt or heating pad or whatever might get a bit warm but the temp change in the beer is going to be pretty slow anyway.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time" - A. Einstein

Jonathan I Fuller

Offline yso191

• Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 02:48:39 PM »
seems complicated to me. I like to pitch ~65, set the temp to 70 and let it rise to that. after a week or so bump the temp to 76 and let it ride till done. crash, keg, go.

my reasoning is that I can't think of a reason to bother with 2 temp changes every day.

I suppose if you are applying direct heat to raise the temp the beer right next to the brew belt or heating pad or whatever might get a bit warm but the temp change in the beer is going to be pretty slow anyway.

Part of the issue is that I am fermenting in my garage which is consistently 40-50* this time of year, so heating is the name of the game.  I have a dual stage controller and a kegerator fermentation chamber, with the temperature probe sitting in the middle of the fermenting beer in a stainless thermowell .  I use a thermo-wrap for heating. 

In the previous fermentations this has led to exact temperatures with no fluctuations as I have the the settings set very tight at 1* difference.  So if I set the target at 65*, the heater gets it there and if it goes to 66*, cooling kicks in.

I love precision, and I love messing with stuff, so doing two temperature changes in a day are enjoyable to me.  I know, serious dork.

But regardless, are you saying that I should set the base heat, say 68*, and the cooling at say 76* and just let it rise as it will?  The goal is not my control, even though I do enjoy that, but to get the best Belgian character out of the yeast.

Steve
Steve

Online morticaixavier

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 01:49:01 PM »

Part of the issue is that I am fermenting in my garage which is consistently 40-50* this time of year, so heating is the name of the game.  I have a dual stage controller and a kegerator fermentation chamber, with the temperature probe sitting in the middle of the fermenting beer in a stainless thermowell .  I use a thermo-wrap for heating. 

In the previous fermentations this has led to exact temperatures with no fluctuations as I have the the settings set very tight at 1* difference.  So if I set the target at 65*, the heater gets it there and if it goes to 66*, cooling kicks in.

I love precision, and I love messing with stuff, so doing two temperature changes in a day are enjoyable to me.  I know, serious dork.

But regardless, are you saying that I should set the base heat, say 68*, and the cooling at say 76* and just let it rise as it will?  The goal is not my control, even though I do enjoy that, but to get the best Belgian character out of the yeast.

Steve

I think that sounds perfect for a belgian. If you want to you could hold it at 68 till you see signs of fermentation and then let it rise to 76ish.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time" - A. Einstein

Jonathan I Fuller

Offline yso191

• Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 07:57:15 PM »
Thank you!  I appreciate the help.

Steve
Steve

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 08:30:44 PM »
I just used this yeast for the first time, and Fermented right at 71-72*.  Has a very nice, peppery flavor. Was kind of slow to finish fermenting, but finished very nicely after 3 weeks. 1.084-1.010.

I typically start my Belgians at 65, then after 3 days, move 1* a day until 75-76*, and let them finish.
Member, AHA
Member, Brew Brothers of Pikes Peak
BJCP judge# D1248
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.