Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Better way to rig my mash tun filter?  (Read 2124 times)

Offline galapagos jim

• Cellarman
Better way to rig my mash tun filter?
« on: November 19, 2012, 05:31:34 pm »
I've been doing all-grain for a little less than a year now. Built myself a 10-gallon beverage cooler setup and have been getting good results.

One problem I'd like to tackle is how the filter in my mash tun is plumbed to the outlet.

The filter is a 12" SS perforated, domed false bottom (http://www.learntobrew.com/store/item/30k6q/-_All_Grain_Equipment/False_Bottom_-_Stainless_Steel_12_inches.html), connected to the cooler bulkhead via a short length of 3/8" ID hose. The hose is secured by barbed connectors on either end, with SS hose clamps to secure it. (I'd share a photo, but I can't figure out how to do that with this bloody forum system.)

The rig itself works well enough, but it was difficult enough to install that I haven't yet disconnected the parts. Cleaning requires turning the tun upside-down, spraying with the hose, then turning it around to check and see if I got all the little bits of grain unstuck from the filter. Rinse, repeat.

What I'd like to do is replace the hose with a hard-plumbed system that is easy to disassemble so I can get the filter out to clean it properly.

Suggestions?

(I originally didn't try to hard-plumb because I'm not familiar with cutting pipe or soldering or any other way that would fit the custom length I'd need. Also, the elbow connector on the filter is a little fussy; there are nuts on both the top and bottom of the filter that are a tad loose and I'm always afraid I'm going to lose the bottom one. Maybe I should get someone to weld the bottom nut to the filter for me?)

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
Better way to rig my mash tun filter?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 07:57:25 pm »
If you don't mind using copper or brass look into using pipe with flared fittings like you'd find on a gas appliance. The parts are cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the Universe

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
Re: Better way to rig my mash tun filter?
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 08:02:19 pm »
I have the same type of setup, but with no hose clamps.  The tubing is long enough that it fits snug between the two barbs when the false bottom is seated.  I've used this mash tun for hundreds of brews over the years and never had a problem with the tube coming loose during a mash.  For cleaning, I turn the cooler over and the false bottom falls out.

Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS