General Category > Beer Recipes

Parti-Gyle Belgian Dark Strong

(1/3) > >>

hoser:
So, I am considering brewing a Belgian Dark Strong this weekend.  Thinking of doing something a little different for simplicity sake.  Planing on doing a parti-gyle with 90% Pils, 10% 5-10% Munich.  Using only the first runnings for the BDS.  Using candi sugar for the color and to dial in my desired gravity; either a pound each of  D2 and dark for a little complexity, or just 2 pounds of D2.  Not sure I need or want any crystal-type malts for the first runnings?  Mash 147-148F, 90+ minute boil. R/O water with CaCl2.  I have big, fresh, healty pitch of Westmalle from a local brewery that is calling my name! :D  I have Denny's 400th batch slightly in mind for a base beer...

Anyone having any tips, suggestions, or pitfalls?  I have not done a parti-gyle before.  Plan on using Kai's calculator.

Also, I can't decide what beer to make with the second runnings...Belgian? Hybrid? Some bastardized American-style ale?  Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks!

kramerog:
After the first runnings, put in a pound of 60-80L crystal and do an English Pale Ale.

bwana:
Most BDS's Have some Special B in them. I am not sure you will get the color you desire with just candy sugar. As for your second runnings I would use the same yeast and have a Belgian Dark Single. Good luck!

hoser:

--- Quote from: bwana on November 20, 2012, 09:32:07 AM ---Most BDS's Have some Special B in them. I am not sure you will get the color you desire with just candy sugar. As for your second runnings I would use the same yeast and have a Belgian Dark Single. Good luck!

--- End quote ---

I am trying to avoid the "obligatory" Special B addition.  If I "do" add it, it will be small.  I need to go back and review BLAM..

Joe Sr.:
I think you'll get the color you want from 2lbs of dark candi syrup.  My last BDS was quite dark.  I would have actually like it a bit lighter and more ruby, but it was damn tasty and there is none left.

I also think a simple malt bill will let the flavors from the candi syrup come through nicely.

I've got a dubbel that should be ready to keg next weekend that is pretty much just pils, munich and d-90.  The color looks good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version