Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pumps  (Read 13070 times)

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
Pumps
« on: November 20, 2012, 03:26:58 pm »
Doing some research on pumps and trying to decide on one to upgrade some features of my homebrewing setup.  Does anyone have opinions on the march pumps vs. chugger pump, or another brand?  I like the idea of a SS head if its not too pricey.  Need it to withstand boiling temps.

Offline thetooth

• Assistant Brewer
  • Long Beach, CA
Re: Pumps
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 05:28:52 pm »
I have a march pump and it works fine.  I don't know that there is much of a difference between the march pump and the chugger pump.

All of them will handle boiling temps, even with the plastic head.  I've had one with the plastic head for years and it's been great.  I'm sure the stainless head is cool and looks nice, but it's definitely not necessary.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Pumps
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 05:30:13 pm »
I have a march pump and it works fine.  I don't know that there is much of a difference between the march pump and the chugger pump.

All of them will handle boiling temps, even with the plastic head.  I've had one with the plastic head for years and it's been great.  I'm sure the stainless head is cool and looks nice, but it's definitely not necessary.

Agreed.  I use the standard March 809 HS and it's worked great for me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 06:24:34 pm »
i used as a trial a pump out of a keurig machine. not great for big volumes and it is not self priming. but it worked.  i dont think that most of us would need anything but a basic march pump
Don AHA member

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 06:47:43 pm »

Agreed.  I use the standard March 809 HS and it's worked great for me.

Also here after a sharp learning curve. Think carefully though- do you need a pump or just want one because it seems like a logical upgrade and others have one or several? It'll take specific type tubing and connects, ball valves etc... So it just isn't as simple as buying a "pump". You'll have to learn how to use and integrate a pump into one's system, maintain and keep clean. Troubleshoot when it doesn't behave. Unseen impacts like needing hop-bags for whole hops. For me it's sole use is to pump hot water into my mash-tun when I used to use a pitcher.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline AleForce

• Cellarman
    • AleForce1
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 07:28:12 pm »
I own both a March pump and a Chugger pump. They both work about the same.  I like the Chugger head more because of it's stainless steel construction and the impeller is larger than the march pump.  I use it mainly for recirculating my mash. 
Off We Go Into The Wild Brew Yonder!

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 08:05:22 pm »
The plastic threads on the plastic pump head are far too easy to cross thread.  Ask me how I know.  Not sure it's worth the price of Stainless, just a warning to be very careful.

Steve
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 09:22:47 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions.  Most of these upgrades are aimed at eventually building a brewstand and I think the pump would be a solid addition, not to mention save my back moving large pots of hot wort up and down various levels.  The convenience factor would be a plus.  It seems the chugger SS models is not too much more than the march pump so all things being equal maybe that's the way to go.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 09:27:19 pm by rbowers »

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 12:47:53 pm »
[

Also here after a sharp learning curve. Think carefully though- do you need a pump or just want one because it seems like a logical upgrade and others have one or several? It'll take specific type tubing and connects, ball valves etc... So it just isn't as simple as buying a "pump". You'll have to learn how to use and integrate a pump into one's system, maintain and keep clean. Troubleshoot when it doesn't behave. Unseen impacts like needing hop-bags for whole hops. For me it's sole use is to pump hot water into my mash-tun when I used to use a pitcher.

yup.  i set up the little pump system with the idea of making a rims.  really not worth the effort for me. pitcher works fine.
Don AHA member

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 01:16:05 pm »
I also like the Chugger pumps because of the stainless steel head. I have 2 of them on my new single level system and 1 March pump (so old it has the brass head) on my old 3 tier set-up. I even ran that one upside down for years without any problems.  :o
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline AleForce

• Cellarman
    • AleForce1
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 01:20:13 pm »
The plastic threads on the plastic pump head are far too easy to cross thread.  Ask me how I know.  Not sure it's worth the price of Stainless, just a warning to be very careful.

Steve
Preaching to choir on that one... lol

I owned my March pump for probably 3+ years before purchasing a Chugger head for it earlier this year because of that same problem. Now I have a March pump w/Chugger head and a Chugger pump.  I use the Chugger pump for my RIMS and have the March pump as a spare...
Off We Go Into The Wild Brew Yonder!

Offline jjflash

• Assistant Brewer
  • New Mexico
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 09:58:16 am »
I have a portable March pump that I lightly bumped on a table edge and broke the impellar housing. Actually hit the S/S on/off valve attached to the pump.  Luckily Williams Brewing sells new housings so it was repaired.  I am always tweeking my setup so the threads on my housings have been accidently crosss threaded. Can't seem to get them back to straight again.  That said I went to all Chugger pumps this year.  Like them better for these reasons. Make sure you buy the 1/2 inch inlet/outlet.
---JJ---

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins

Offline dean_palmer

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Journals
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 02:03:57 pm »
I bought my first pump simply to eliminate an elevated HLT. It was a good upgrade and made my setup easier to use and safer to be around. I'd like to think that every thing I upgraded or changed led to an improved process or product, but there are a lot of things that are just nice to have.

One of my pumps is a March with a Chugger stainless head added. The stainless is sure nicer, but there is no benefit to the process itself as the poly heads work the same. If it weren't for a generous friend giving me the stainless head, I'd still have the poly and be working just fine.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 08:47:03 pm »
I use two March 809 pumps on my brewstand. They have performed well for me over the last 2 years. I have no experience with the Chugger pumps so I can't comment on them, but I know many brewers that use the March pump with great success as well.
Ron Price

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 05:24:11 am »
I use two March 809 pumps on my brewstand. They have performed well for me over the last 2 years. I have no experience with the Chugger pumps so I can't comment on them, but I know many brewers that use the March pump with great success as well.

+1
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim