General Category > Equipment and Software

Pumps

(1/6) > >>

rbowers:
Doing some research on pumps and trying to decide on one to upgrade some features of my homebrewing setup.  Does anyone have opinions on the march pumps vs. chugger pump, or another brand?  I like the idea of a SS head if its not too pricey.  Need it to withstand boiling temps.

thetooth:
I have a march pump and it works fine.  I don't know that there is much of a difference between the march pump and the chugger pump.

All of them will handle boiling temps, even with the plastic head.  I've had one with the plastic head for years and it's been great.  I'm sure the stainless head is cool and looks nice, but it's definitely not necessary.

denny:

--- Quote from: thetooth on November 20, 2012, 05:28:52 PM ---I have a march pump and it works fine.  I don't know that there is much of a difference between the march pump and the chugger pump.

All of them will handle boiling temps, even with the plastic head.  I've had one with the plastic head for years and it's been great.  I'm sure the stainless head is cool and looks nice, but it's definitely not necessary.

--- End quote ---

Agreed.  I use the standard March 809 HS and it's worked great for me.

weithman5:
i used as a trial a pump out of a keurig machine. not great for big volumes and it is not self priming. but it worked.  i dont think that most of us would need anything but a basic march pump

euge:

--- Quote from: denny on November 20, 2012, 05:30:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: thetooth on November 20, 2012, 05:28:52 PM ---I have a march pump and it works fine.  I don't know that there is much of a difference between the march pump and the chugger pump.

--- End quote ---

Agreed.  I use the standard March 809 HS and it's worked great for me.

--- End quote ---

Also here after a sharp learning curve. Think carefully though- do you need a pump or just want one because it seems like a logical upgrade and others have one or several? It'll take specific type tubing and connects, ball valves etc... So it just isn't as simple as buying a "pump". You'll have to learn how to use and integrate a pump into one's system, maintain and keep clean. Troubleshoot when it doesn't behave. Unseen impacts like needing hop-bags for whole hops. For me it's sole use is to pump hot water into my mash-tun when I used to use a pitcher.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version