Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mold spots in bottom of air lock bottle.  (Read 4866 times)

Offline twoguysale

• 1st Kit
Mold spots in bottom of air lock bottle.
« on: November 21, 2012, 06:57:36 am »
Help,

I have noticed what looks to be mold in the bottom of my 5 gallon jug that I use for an airlock. I was close to dumping this BUT thought I would get an opinion from some more experienced brewers.

I used tap water and oddly enough I don't see anything in the tube....only in the jug? This is an IIPA and unfortunately I have stalled for way too long to make a move and I have had dry hops in this fermenter for at least 5 weeks!!

Any help is appreciated.

Jim

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Mold spots in bottom of air lock bottle.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 07:10:37 am »
Help,

I have noticed what looks to be mold in the bottom of my 5 gallon jug that I use for an airlock. I was close to dumping this BUT thought I would get an opinion from some more experienced brewers.

I used tap water and oddly enough I don't see anything in the tube....only in the jug? This is an IIPA and unfortunately I have stalled for way too long to make a move and I have had dry hops in this fermenter for at least 5 weeks!!

Any help is appreciated.

Jim

I'm sorry but this isn't very clear to me regarding your setup. Is the beer in contact with the mold?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 07:28:46 am »
Do you have a blow-off tube in the 5 gallon jug?  That's my guess Euge....

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 07:31:38 am »
It would be helpful if you could post a pic. Sounds like you have a blow-off tube in a bucket. I suggest using some starsan solution in the blow-off bucket on the next round.
Ron Price

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 08:24:45 am »
I just had a similar experience.  I had a blow off tube on a pale ale with the tube sitting in a plastic jug with starsan.  Some of the blowoff ended up in the jug and mold formed on the top of the liquid.  No mold was evident in the blowoff tube or the beer when I kegged it last night.

So I'm sure it will be fine.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline twoguysale

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 08:29:38 am »
Thanks guys for the quick responses. The beer is not in contact with the mold as I can see it. It just appeared one spot at a time in my clear 5 gallon water jug. I like the idea of sanitizer but since we've never had the problem before I guess we've been very lucky.

The fermenter is a half barrel from Sabco and we have a 1/2" clear line with a small PVC tube that extends to the bottom of this jug with about 3 gallons of tap water in it. The mold? is peppered all around the bottom of the jug.

I have a few pictures but not sure how to post them on this forum.(I hate to sound ignorant and waste your time)

Thanks again

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 08:37:20 am »
Thanks guys for the quick responses. The beer is not in contact with the mold as I can see it. It just appeared one spot at a time in my clear 5 gallon water jug. I like the idea of sanitizer but since we've never had the problem before I guess we've been very lucky.

The fermenter is a half barrel from Sabco and we have a 1/2" clear line with a small PVC tube that extends to the bottom of this jug with about 3 gallons of tap water in it. The mold? is peppered all around the bottom of the jug.

I have a few pictures but not sure how to post them on this forum.(I hate to sound ignorant and waste your time)

Thanks again

You need a picture hosting site, like photobucket or flickr. Just copy the direct link from the pic on the host site and paste it into the image function above the message box. It's that simple.  :)
Ron Price

Offline twoguysale

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 09:02:58 am »
Here is what I have

I hope these can be viewed.

Offline twoguysale

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 09:08:14 am »
Well the red X doesn't look too good so until I learn a bit more (about brewing and computers) let's try this link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90286695@N05/

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 09:10:09 am »
I would empty it, clean it out and refill with Star-San (tm) solution.  Your beer should be fine.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 09:16:54 am »
I could understand if the mold was floating on the top of the water in the blowoff, but actually growing under water?  Are you sure the mold is not just growing on the OUTSIDE (underside) of the bottle?  Is your tap water from a well or chlorinated?

Dave
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline twoguysale

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 10:00:53 am »
I totally agree about it seems strange inside on the bottom but I did check the bottom underside in disbelief and unbelievably it is on the inside surface. I think I better just get this kegged and bottled. Emptying the airlock sounds like a good plan but after over 5 weeks dry hopping with 10 oz. Simcoe and 5 oz. Chinook not sure what the heck it's going to taste or smell like?

I appreciate all the input!

Thanks,
Jim

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 10:10:44 am »
I think that is mildew that was extant before you used it this time. You just didn't notice it perhaps. A soak with PBW or lye (sodium hydroxide) ought get rid of it.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 01:24:52 am »
Taste the beer, it is probably fine.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 05:04:28 am »
I agree with everyone else that you should be fine.  Your fermenter has a positive preasure compared to the air lock so nothing should be able to travel back up through the tubing.  Package the beer and sanitize the better bottle.  It's all good.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?