Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: FWH question  (Read 13130 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
FWH question
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2012, 11:35:42 am »
Your tongue doesn't care what the actual IBU level is, and your tongue says it tastes similar to a 20 minute addition. 
Well, Denny's tongue says that not everyone agrees.

Yeah, lots of people are wrong about lots of things....;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline malzig

• Brewer
Re: FWH question
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2012, 05:24:01 am »
OK now I am really confused.
If FWH give you between 10% and 20% more IBU's then a 60 minute addition , how can it equal a 20 minute addition ?
You get less IBU's from a 20 minute addition then 60 minute.
A similar example would be to make the same beer with a 60' addition of Chinook and a 60' addition of Magnum to the same IBU level.  The Magnum bittered beer will taste less bitter in a way similar to the way FWH tastes less bitter.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2012, 08:20:09 am »
But it will avoid the boil over thing

I haven't found that to be the case.

Yep Denny, it did foam up and boil over. I really wish I had bought a bigger kettle. An 8 gallon kettle just isn't big enough for 5 gallon brews.

BTW My 1 week in the bottle sample of this beer was terrific.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2012, 08:51:48 am »

Yep Denny, it did foam up and boil over. I really wish I had bought a bigger kettle. An 8 gallon kettle just isn't big enough for 5 gallon brews.

before I got a bigger kettle, I used fermcap and it usually helped prevent boilovers
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2012, 11:26:04 am »
Thankyou for the tip :D
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
FWH question
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2012, 11:32:05 am »

before I got a bigger kettle, I used fermcap and it usually helped prevent boilovers

Before I used Fermcap, I used a spray bottle which was very effective.  Due to some concerns about Fermcap, I've gone back to that.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2012, 12:21:07 pm »
well, in reality, so long as you give yourself a little room below the brim,  keep your eye on the boil and your hand close to the throttle on your heat source, you can avoid a boilover.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2012, 08:45:35 am »
I use a spray bottle and give my grip one heck of a workout. I would love to buy a 10 gallon kettle but just can't justify it when the kettle I have works. It is just a lot of extra work.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2012, 10:03:53 am »
Due to some concerns about Fermcap, I've gone back to that.

Denny, what sort of concerns do you have with Fermcap? I use it often, but don't want to if it has an adverse effect.
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2012, 10:19:31 am »

Denny, what sort of concerns do you have with Fermcap? I use it often, but don't want to if it has an adverse effect.

From what I've been able to discern, it's really meant to be filtered out before the beer is consumed.  There are concerns about kidney blockage.  Admittedly, at the amounts we use it seems unlikely to be a problem, but I have enough medical issues already that I'd just as soon limit its use as much as possible.  I've pretty much stopped using it in the kettle, whereas previously I would add a fair amount to every boil.  With a bit of vigilance I can control the boil with the valve and a spray bottle.   I also don't add it to fermenters as a matter of course as I used to.  If I can't control the fermentation some other way, I'll add the least amount I can get away with when I need it.  PLease understand that I'm not trying to tell anybody what they should do.  This is simply my own decision.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2012, 10:46:33 am »
From what I've been able to discern, it's really meant to be filtered out before the beer is consumed.  There are concerns about kidney blockage.  Admittedly, at the amounts we use it seems unlikely to be a problem, but I have enough medical issues already that I'd just as soon limit its use as much as possible.  I've pretty much stopped using it in the kettle, whereas previously I would add a fair amount to every boil.  With a bit of vigilance I can control the boil with the valve and a spray bottle.   I also don't add it to fermenters as a matter of course as I used to.  If I can't control the fermentation some other way, I'll add the least amount I can get away with when I need it.  PLease understand that I'm not trying to tell anybody what they should do.  This is simply my own decision.
That is good information Denny. Why risk it if it a possibility? I am usually brewing only 5-10 gallon batches in a 15 gallon BK, so boilover is rarely an issue, but I have heard that Fermcap aids in head retention as well. I haven't seen any data regarding this, but the report comes from a reputable brewer that I trust.
With that being said, I really don't think awesome head retention is worth potential kidney issues such as blockage. At the end of the day, if the beer is good that is all that matters. If the beer is in competition, Appearance is only worth 3 points max, right? ;)
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2012, 01:49:49 pm »
From what I've been able to discern, it's really meant to be filtered out before the beer is consumed.  There are concerns about kidney blockage.
Liver damage, as well.