Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Last three batches terrible  (Read 22617 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Last three batches terrible
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2012, 12:41:35 pm »
By any chance did you accidentally get a CO2 bottle with mixed gas?  I ruined a nice Dortmunder by carbing it with Nitrogen mix.  It sounds like the same flavor you are describing.  The Airgas people didn't seem know much difference.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline thomasben

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2012, 12:42:57 pm »
That's where I got it...airgas...I have no clue

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2012, 02:12:17 pm »
If it's beer mix, wouldn't it require a MUCH higher pressure to achieve decent carbonation levels?

I thought the nitro doesn't go into solution, or only goes in slowly and not so much.  If that makes sense.

But your gas/tank was going to be my suggestion.  Do you have a different tank you could try?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline thomasben

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2012, 02:55:34 pm »
I just go exchange them at airgas. I guess I could

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2012, 12:28:44 am »
Unless it's flat I don't think the gas mix is your problem, it works like Joe Sr. said.  Jeff, if your batch tasted funny I would suspect some other problem before I blamed the gas.

Some contaminations can taste metallic, copper has been mentioned, it could be something else.  Have you changed your water source?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2012, 04:00:10 am »
Chlorine or chloramine are obvious sources of this problem.  Carbonating beer can make off-flavors more obvious. 

Over-carbonated beer can also have a metalic bite from the carbonic acid, which seems possible if it is appearing after the beer is carbonated.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Last three batches terrible
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2012, 08:48:01 am »
We don't use chloramine here in Eugene where Ben and I are located.  But I agree that it could be chlorine.  I know he filters his water, but I also know that isn't foolproof.  That's why I'm encouraging him to get me a sample.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline thomasben

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2012, 09:35:46 am »
I will denny. My hunch now is something to do with the gas/regulator leak maybe over carbing. This has been about a year now with bad beer. Been a tough one for sure. Im certain my brewing process is perfect. Copper only touched my wort when chilling

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2012, 09:39:51 am »
You could try priming in a keg and carbing naturally to see if that makes a difference.

Of course, that's taking a risk on another batch.

If it's somehow related to the gas, would de-gassing eliminate the flavor?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2012, 12:57:44 am »
I've never gotten a bad tank of gas, but maybe?  You could have someone else carbonate one of your beers.  But getting that sample to Denny is a good idea too :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2012, 05:41:16 am »
Im certain my brewing process is perfect.
You would be the only one, I think. ;D
We don't use chloramine here in Eugene where Ben and I are located.  But I agree that it could be chlorine.  I know he filters his water, but I also know that isn't foolproof.
Yes, filters are not particularly efficient and it's easy for chlorine to get past a filter.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2012, 11:38:16 am »
Have you disassembled the keg(s) completely and verified there are no places where rust has started coming in?  Perhaps you cut your dip tube and the end is rusting, or there's a scratch in there somewhere where there's a rusting process going on?  Even stainless can rust if it is cut/scratched with non-stainless steel tools and it is not re-passivated.

I think the idea to bottle some and keg the rest is a really good test. 

Is it possible that you over-oxygenating?  Jamil said in several podcasts over the years that too much O2 will produce fusely/metallic off flavors.  More than 2 minutes of pure 02 and you start affecting flavor.  Perhaps your mini-batch was not as oxygenated and therefore it didn't produce the off flavors?   You said you are attempting to get more attenuation and this may be playing into it.

I'll also add to the pile of suggestions to let a couple/few experienced palates evaluate it for you.

HTH-
Steve
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline thomasben

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #87 on: November 25, 2012, 01:32:11 am »
Brewed a Bavarian heff 4-5 weeks ago. Got new kegs new regulator. New ball locks connectors etc...

Did a double decoction and used wyeast 3638. Started at 65-worked to 68-69 over the week.

Its been a year and many batches since the beer has been drinkable. Tapped my first beer tonight. Absolutely loved it. Super happy right now. Phenomenal beer.

Only been kegged for 5 days so its not completely ready but here is a little picture.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #88 on: November 25, 2012, 02:38:13 pm »
Nice to hear that your heff turned out great.  Was the problem the kegs and fittings?
Dan Chisholm

Offline thomasben

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #89 on: November 25, 2012, 02:39:31 pm »
Believe so