Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boil kettle  (Read 1879 times)

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
Boil kettle
« on: November 21, 2012, 02:36:10 pm »
So, my wife and I are looking to purchase a house in the next few months.  Once we move out of our tiny apartment, I'll be able to take my brewing to the next level - all grain, so I'm attempting to put a wishlist of equipment and upgrades together.  My first purchase will most likely be a turkey fryer with 30qt pot - I want to add weldless conversion kit so i don't have to siphon the wort out like I currently do.  My question is - what goes between the wort and the break material/hops?  I've been looking online and stuff like the bazooka screen and some of the false bottoms say they're only good for leaf hops.  Is there a false bottom that will work for pellet hops or are these kettles usually set up that they don't have anything there?  Thanks.
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
Re: Boil kettle
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 03:04:28 pm »
I use a bag http://www.breworganic.com/organiccottonhopbag.aspx when I'm not using my homegrown hops.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 03:36:57 pm »
Right now, I used a 30 qt aluminum kettle. I put a sanitized paint strainer bag into my sanitized fermenting bucket. When the wort has cooled to pitching temps in my kettle I dump everything into the bucket. I then pull the bag out letting the wort drain and filter. When I use a lot of hops it can take a bit to get the full batch filtered but has worked great so far.

Sorry...I know this doesn't really apply if you plan to modify the kettle.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 05:03:56 pm »
I can't answer your main question, as I still rack my beer off of the break material. However, my suggestion for you would be to skip the 30qt turkey fryer and get at least a 10 or 15 gal pot.  You will need a 10gal pot if you plan on doing all grain 5-6 gal batches.
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 05:26:13 pm »
I use a 30 qt kettle for 5.5 gallon batches but it is pretty tight. I get a preboil volume of 6.5 gallons but need to watch as it comes up to a boil to ensure it doesn't boil over. You may want to go for a 60 qt kettle though in case you decide to step it up to 10 gallon batches at any point.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
Boil kettle
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 07:55:59 pm »
I have an 8 gal kettle and do 5 gal batches. You need bigger than 30 qt. go ahead and go big for 10 gal batches. I'm in the process of upgrading now.

To answer your main question, why not dump everything in the fermenter? Why worry about straining hops? Or did you say you use leaf hops? I use pellets and have never used leaf hops. I may not know what I'm talking about. Plus I'm drinking homebrew........
Trey W.