Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Smoked Turkey Video  (Read 4549 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Smoked Turkey Video
« on: November 22, 2012, 07:59:52 am »
Franklin's BBQ had the best brisket I have ever had.

Here is Aaron Franklin showing how to smoke a turkey. The wife watched it, says I need to learn how.  ;D

There are also segments where he does brisket. I must watch those too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zWHOEkBLAg&feature=share
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: Smoked Turkey Video
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 09:34:19 am »
Great video, thanks for sharing.  Got two turkey breasts going in the smoker.  Been doing smoked turkeys just about every Thanksgiving for the past 10 years (well, if the Colorado weather cooperates).  I always stock up this time of year when turkeys go on sale.  Smoked turkeys are great ways to entertain any time of the year when family and friends are over.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 10:17:28 am »
Me too.  I have a 25 pounder in the smoker as I type.  Love it smoked!

Steve
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 02:07:51 am »
I smoked a 13 pounder for Thanksgiving - that was the appetizer, served with cranberry bbq sauce.  I also threw on a couple of fatties.  The other 13 pounder went in the oven for dinner.  We have a lot of leftovers :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 02:38:00 am »
Cranberry BBQ sauce? How's that work? Recipe plz :)
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 06:54:58 am »
Cranberry BBQ sauce sound delicious!  My 2 turkeys were just for me, my wife and 3-year-old daughter, so we have a ton of leftovers...yet, that was the point as I think we enjoy all the things you can do w/ the leftovers more than the initial meal itself!
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 10:59:01 am »
Man I like that guy! Never had his Que but am will make it up to Austin soon if possible...

Inspired I braved Walmart on Black Friday to pick up a choice-grade packer and some lump. The crowd was just normal thankfully...

Trimmed the 9 lb brisket according to his instruction and have applied the coarse S&P rub. That's the rub I do anyway. Brisket is resting and I'm headed out to the smoker to get it ready. If able there'll be pics in the BBQ thread.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 11:11:55 am »
Man I like that guy! Never had his Que but am will make it up to Austin soon if possible...

Inspired I braved Walmart on Black Friday to pick up a choice-grade packer and some lump. The crowd was just normal thankfully...

Trimmed the 9 lb brisket according to his instruction and have applied the coarse S&P rub. That's the rub I do anyway. Brisket is resting and I'm headed out to the smoker to get it ready. If able there'll be pics in the BBQ thread.
My wife thinks he has some crack as the secret ingredient in the rub.

When you go, get in line early, real early. When they sell out they are out, and close for the day.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 01:46:13 pm »
Me too.  I have a 25 pounder in the smoker as I type.  Love it smoked!

Steve

I used to do 25# birds like that.  Now I do two 15# ones.  Gets done sooner.

I didn't know Ferris Bueller made cooking videos...   8)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 10:22:49 pm »
It's based on a recipe in the Sauces Rubs and Marinades book by Raichlen.  His recipe:

14 oz ketchup
1/4 cider vinegar
1/4 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup worcestershire
2 Tbs molasses
1/2 medium onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup canned jellied cranberry sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

He says to simmer it for 15-20 minutes.

Based on the initial flavor, I probably used too much onion - a "medium onion" is pretty vague.  I also thought it did not have enough cranberry flavor, but I had subbed in fresh cranberry sauce instead of that canned jelly crap.  I doctored it up by adding probably a cup total of cranberry sauce and cooking it for more like 45 minutes to cook out some of the onion flavor.  I took a stick blender to it at the end to grind up the whole berries from the sauce and the bits of onion.  It was really good but a bit too tangy, so I added in a couple of Tbs of honey to balance it out.  It got high marks from the neighbors.

I highly recommend that book by the way, as a starting point for bbq mixtures if nothing else.  I use many of the recipes straight, or nearly straight anyway.  I have a hard time not fiddling with things. :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 10:24:25 pm by tschmidlin »
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 06:40:31 am »
It's based on a recipe in the Sauces Rubs and Marinades book by Raichlen.  His recipe:

14 oz ketchup
1/4 cider vinegar
1/4 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup worcestershire
2 Tbs molasses
1/2 medium onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup canned jellied cranberry sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

He says to simmer it for 15-20 minutes.

Based on the initial flavor, I probably used too much onion - a "medium onion" is pretty vague.  I also thought it did not have enough cranberry flavor, but I had subbed in fresh cranberry sauce instead of that canned jelly crap.  I doctored it up by adding probably a cup total of cranberry sauce and cooking it for more like 45 minutes to cook out some of the onion flavor.  I took a stick blender to it at the end to grind up the whole berries from the sauce and the bits of onion.  It was really good but a bit too tangy, so I added in a couple of Tbs of honey to balance it out.  It got high marks from the neighbors.

I highly recommend that book by the way, as a starting point for bbq mixtures if nothing else.  I use many of the recipes straight, or nearly straight anyway.  I have a hard time not fiddling with things. :)

I will have to share that with Mrs. R. Thanks Tom.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild