General Category > Equipment and Software

Sparge for Picnic Cooler Tun

<< < (2/2)

BrewArk:
First I'll say I've nothing against batch sparging.

I built a manifold from copper pipe (it was cheap back in the day) with slits I made with a hacksaw.  It rests on the top of the cooler and drips across the surface of the water.  I control the flow with a tubing clamp on the hose from the HLT.

dean_palmer:

--- Quote from: wheelhousebrewing on November 23, 2012, 06:42:09 PM ---onto a plate held above the grain bed (using gloves of course).  It can be a pain, especially when I'd rather be measuring the runoff pH and grav.

--- End quote ---

As others have said, batch sparge, then don't worry about the PH and gravity for the most part. For when you vorlauf/recirculate to clear the wort, just find a plate or other item that will stay near the surface that you can just pour the wort onto in the mash tun. It can be a pie plate or anything. I used to use a tupperware lid because it floated. No reason you should need gloves for the operation, and no reason to have to hold it above the grain and liquid. Many times I just poured it back directly with no deflector and it never mattered.

denny:

--- Quote from: dean_palmer on November 29, 2012, 01:47:29 PM ---Many times I just poured it back directly with no deflector and it never mattered.

--- End quote ---

That's the way I've always done it.

weithman5:

--- Quote from: BrewArk on November 24, 2012, 10:52:38 AM ---First I'll say I've nothing against batch sparging.

I built a manifold from copper pipe (it was cheap back in the day) with slits I made with a hacksaw.  It rests on the top of the cooler and drips across the surface of the water.  I control the flow with a tubing clamp on the hose from the HLT.

--- End quote ---

another way to cut the slits is to use a pipe cutter and just go over about a third of the tubing back and forth.  less chance of nicking the knuckles.

that said, i just dump in with a pitcher

rob_f:
I've been very happy with the Blichmann auto sparge.  I gravity feed my sparge water and pump from mash tun to kettle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version